Christmas Bird Counts in Utah
2016 Christmas Bird Count Schedule
There is no required fee to participate. We welcome donations to support the CBC program.
You can donate on the Audubon Website.
* (Information from last year is in this color-- and is listed at the bottom of this page).
14 December, (Wednesday) Bear River Refuge
- Meet at McDonald’s (1838 W 2700 N, Farr West – just east of 1-15 exit 349) at 8:00 for breakfast or at 8:30 am to carpool. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars
- Everyone will meet at (435 826-5499). There will be coffee and donuts or muffins. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.at the Interagency Visitor Center at 8:00am
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607, or Jens & Kathy Munthe - 435-826-4755 ,
Snake Valley, NV and UT
- Description: The Snake Valley Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is located in White Pine County, Nevada, and Millard County, Utah. It includes the towns of Baker, NV and Garrison, UT; some of the eastern side of Great Basin National Park, and Pruess Reservoir. It has habitat from the desert floor - saltbrush, to sagebrush, to pinyon-juniper, to fir-spruce forests or mountain mahogany thickets. There are several creeks, stock ponds, irrigation ditches and a fish rearing station included.
Some years there is enough snow in the higher elevations for skiing bird counters! Bring snowshoes or skis, if you have them, just in case. There are a few pairs of snowshoes for loan up at the Park - Lehman Cave Visitor Center. Don't forget your digital camera and spotting scopes, too. Bring snacks - few businesses are open in the winter. Since we are in such a remote location, we can always use more help! .
The count starts at 8 am and continue throughout the day. If you'd like to sign up or learn more, contact Gretchen Baker at 775-234-7541 or email
Park info; www.nps.gov/grba
Area businesses; www.greatbasinpark.com
- We will meet at 8 am on the 14th at the Chuckwagon General Store in Torrey.
- Counting teams will depart that location by no later than 8:15-8:30 am.. As is the tradition for our Torrey CBC, there will be a group potluck the night before the count and a fun post count feed and party at Casa Jay after the count. To find out more contact Count Coordinator Jay Banta at (preferred) or at 4354963600. Map
15 December, (Thursday) Boulder
- Meet at 8 am at the Anasazi State Park Theater (435) 335-7308.
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607
16 December, (Friday)
- Everyone will meet in Kanab at the BLM at 669 S Highway 89 A at 8:30 am. (435 644-1200). we will have t shirts, doughnuts and assign routes. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
Contact – Lisa Church at (435)644-1273.
17 December, (Saturday)
- Saturday, December 17th will be the 56th annual CBC count for Bridgerland Audubon Society. It all started in 1955, and but for a few early skips, this has been an annual event ever since for Bridgerland Audubon. Please join us! We welcome beginners as well as experienced birders to find owls, falcons, and odd ducks, even feathered ones. Contact Val Grant, 435-752-7572 or Jim Cane ([email protected]) to join the count, or visit our web site http://bridgerlandaudubon.org/fieldtrips/ for more information. With your help, and a wink from Mother Nature, we could reach 100 species - again! And, as always, there will be a sociable potluck the evening of the count to compile our results.
- We have twelve groups available, which cover wetlands, rural areas, the town of Moab and some of the outlying high desert including several riparian canyons.
The contact person is Marcy Hafner, or 435-259-6197. There will be a post-count potluck brunch at The Nature Conservancy office, at 10 a.m. on Sunday December 18. [the day after the count]
- Meet at 7:00 am at Denny’s (Take 21st Street to 1100 West, on north side by Flying J Plaza, Ogden) for breakfast and to get your assignment. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. Potluck dinner at 6:00 pm at UCC Church (3350 South Harrison Blvd.) for compilation of data. Bring table service and a dish to share.
Ouray National Wildlife Refuge / Green River
- Meet at the Refuge Office at 8am. For those interested in staying overnight, some space may be available at the bunkhouse. For more information contact Diane Penttila, Ouray NWR Refuge Biologist at (435)545-2522 x 112 or
- Time for the best holiday tradition there is - the Christmas Bird Count! This year is the 117th count and we have over 40 years of data for Provo. As usual, our meeting this month will include a bird count quiz and then we will go over the assignments and groups. Please let me know if you can't be at the meeting and want to participate in the bird count. Plan on attending the result compiling and pot luck dinner too after the bird count!
For more info about the bird count contact Bryan Shirley: , 801-722-9346
Salt Lake City
- Leader: Ian Batterman - Starting times and locations will be determined by team leaders. Our potluck social with team reports, count tally and door prizes, will begin at 6pm at the Chase Mill in Tracy Aviary (please bring a dish to share). Contact Ian Batterman at or (920-360-0805) if you plan to participate or to obtain further information. Great Salt Lake Audubon hosts an evening CBC potluck social. Please join us at 6:00 p.m. at the Chase Mill at Tracy Aviary. This is an enjoyable way to celebrate the CBC with friends after a great day of counting birds. Please bring a favorite dish to share: appetizer, salad, vegetables, main dish, dessert. GSLA will supply the beverages; to reduce paper/plastic waste, please bring your own utensils and plates. During the meal we have an opportunity to share team reports and draw for door prizes. If you have questions about the potluck, please contact Jeanne Le Ber (801-532-7384) or . See you there!
- Zion inside the count circle are within and adjacent to Zion National Park and are normally pre-assigned before count day. Participants that pre-register with the compiler will have the park entrance fee waived. Tally Rally starts at 5 PM in the Zion Natural History Association Conference Room in the headquarters/administration building in the park. Please contact compiler Laura Schrage for further information - 435 772-0216.
18 December, (Sunday)
- The Utah Birders invite you to participate in the 6th annual Park City Christmas Bird Count on December 18th, 2016. The Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is a bird tracking census performed annually in December and January by volunteer birders. The purpose is to provide population data for use in science, especially conservation biology--though many people participate just for fun.
The 2016 Park City CBC will take place on Sunday, December 18, 2016 starting at 8:00 AM and going until 12:30 PM. We will split up into several teams to cover areas ranging from various Park City neighborhoods, to Summit Park east, Jeremy Ranch Road, the Jordanelle Reservoir, Rockport Reservoir and Peoa.
For more information and to sign up visit utahbirders.com/cbc.
We will begin meeting at 7:45 AM at the Park City Bread & Bagel:
The CBC is a free event, but we encourage anyone who participates to donate $5 to our ongoing conservation effort for birds here in Utah.
If you have any questions feel free to visit us at utahbirders.com/trips, or contact us at [email protected] or Nate Brown at 970-978-1804 [email protected].
19 December, (Monday)
20 December, (Tuesday)
- All birders are welcome to join us on this count. Previous experience is preferred, but we are willing to train new birders. Contact, Keith Day at or 435 586-6100
27 December, (Tuesday)
- Meet at the Utah DWR (515 East 5300 South, South Ogden) at 7:30 am to carpool for breakfast at Spring Chicken Inn (4 North State Street, Morgan) at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. For more info, email Weston smith at .
- The St. George Christmas Bird Count has a high count possible (everyone, including birds, likes coming here for the winter). We have beautiful scenery, great weather, and nice people. Please state your name, email address, level of birding, and if you are familiar with the area. We want this to be a great experience for you. Questions? Contact Marilyn Davis - RCA 435 673-0996 or .
28 December, (Wednesday)
Bear Lake (Utah Count)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. The count usually has 10 or more observers. About 55 species and 2,000 birds are annually counted.
29 December, (Thursday)
- The Silver Reef Christmas Bird Count is diverse with ponds, reservoirs, historical sites, beautiful scenery, and great weather. Please give your name, email address, level of birding, and if you are familiar iwth the area. We want this to be a great experience fo you. If you have questions, call Marilyn Davis at RCA 435 673-0996 or email at .
1 January, (Sunday)
- Meet at the parking lot outside Antelope Island State Park entrance kiosk at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. This is a fee area.
Evanston WY and UT
Those interested in participating in the annual Evanston Christmas Bird Count (CBC) should meet on Sunday, January 1st, 8:00 am at the Hornet's Nest Gas Station, 8 miles north of Evanston on Rt. 89. The Evanston circle holds the all-time record count for Greater Sage-Grouse, 698 in 1986. This will be the 35th year for the Evanston CBC.
For more details contact Tim or Patti Gorman at 307-789-3833 or 307-679-0656.
- Leaders: Jeanne Le Ber and Ray Smith - Meet at 7am at Kneaders Bakery and Cafe, 177 East 13800 South in Draper, UT 84020. Assignments will be distributed and groups will start birding at 8am. Team reports and count tally will begin at 6pm at the Sizzler on 9000 S. & State St. To sign up, or for more information, call Jeanne or Ray at (801-532-7384).
2 January, (Monday)
Dinosaur NM / Jensen
- Contact Kathy Paulin at:
- The Payson count will be on Jan 2. Great way to start the new year!
Hopefully you can come out and enjoy the best Holiday Tradition!
For more info contact Bryan Shirley at 801-722-9346 or
4 January, (Wednesday)
Glen Canyon (Page, AZ)
- Meet at Glen Canyon NRA headquarters on Highway 89 at 07:30 a.m. The count will take place on the Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam, nearby segments of Lake Powell, and by land within our count radius. For questions contact Katie Wood at: (928) 608-6267 or John Spence at . Free T-Shirts will be provided to participants by the Glen Canyon Natural History Association. (Folks will have the options of going on the boats onto the lake).
- Join us at Wasatch Mountain State Park and the surrounding area. We will meet at 8:00 am at the Visitor Center located at 1281 Warm Springs Road, Midway, Utah 84049. For more information contact: Kathy Donnell at (435) 654-1791 or .
5 January, (Thursday)
Previous Year, (In the order in which they were held last year)
Dead Horse Point | 2012 report - PDF | Fish Springs NWR
- Please contact Tiffany Cummins at if you have any questions or would like to attend.
Bear Lake (Idaho Count)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. (The Bear Lake CBC on the Utah side is on December 27th.
Pipe Spring National Monument (not being held in 2015)
- From 8 am to 5 pm. "It doesn't take long to cover Pipe Spring - it's only 40 acres... we do some road counts along the county road that goes past the monument and along AZ 389." Contact: Paula Ogden-Muse, "I would like folks to contact me about their interest to be sure that we meet each other at the visitor center at the correct time:" 928-643-7105 x 16 (Monday - Friday) or via email . Poster
Bluff (not held -- 2011 through 2014)
- Come help us count birds in one of the most scenic count areas in the United States. We'll have a pre-count meeting and make count area assignments Sunday evening (12/28) in the Recapture Lodge at 7 p.m. The count will begin at 7 a.m. Monday morning in the north parking lot of the Recapture Lodge and run until dusk.
Recapture Lodge: 250 South Main Street, PO Box 309 Bluff, UT 84512, Phone 435-672-2281, Fax 435-672-2284 Contact: Lu Giddings - 801-423-1682 or .