Christmas Bird Counts in Utah
2013 Christmas Bird Count Schedule
There is no required fee to participate. We welcome donations to support the CBC program.
You can donate on the Audubon Website.
* (Information from last year is in this color).
14 December, (Saturday) Evanston WY and UT
Those interested should meet 7:00 am at the Hornet's Nest Gas Station, 8 miles north of Evanston on Rt 89. The Evanston circle holds the all-time record count for Greater Sage-Grouse, 698 in 1986. For more details contact Tim or Patti Gorman at 307-789-3833 or 307-679-0656
- We have twelve groups available, which cover wetlands, rural areas, the town of Moab and some of the outlying high desert including several riparian canyos. Contact person is Marcy Hafner, 435-259-6197 or
- Meet at 7:00 am at Denny’s Restaurant (21st St to 1100 West, on north side by Flying J/Conoco Plaza) for breakfast and to get your assignment. This is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. Potluck dinner at 6:00 pm at UCC Church (3350 South Harrison Blvd.) for compilation of data. Bring table service and a dish to share.
Ouray National Wildlife Refuge / Green River
- Meet at the office at 8 am. There is room at the bunkhouse if anyone needs a place to stay. Call me if you have any questions, 435-545-2522 x 112. [Ouray NWR Refuge Biologist ]
Salt Lake City
- Do you love birds and the beauty of nature, the spirit of friendly competition and the satisfaction of participating in an event that helps scientists understand how birds are faring amid unprecedented environmental challenges? Then join us in celebrating the 114th anniversary of the longest running citizen science project in the world. Volunteer as a field observer or to count birds at your own feeders. We’ll gather that evening for a potluck social, team reports and door prizes. Meet at 6:00 p.m. at the Chase Mill in Liberty Park. Contact Pomera Fronce at 801-272-2755.or , if you plan to participate or to obtain further information.
(Article by the CBC Coordinatior)
- We will meet at the Sunglow Restuarant in Bicknell at 8 am. Counting teams will depart that location by no later than 8:15-8:30 am.. As is the tradition for our Torrey CBC, there will be a group potluck the night before the count and a fun post count feed and party at Casa Jay after the count. To find out more contact Count Coordinator Jay Banta at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or at 4354963600. Map
- Zion insdie the count circle are within and adjacent to Zion National Park and are normally pre-assigned before count day. Participants that pre-register with the compiler will have the park entrance fee waived. Tally Rally starts at 5 PM in the Zion Natural History Association Conference Room in the headquarters/administration building in the park. Please contact compiler Cassie Waters for further information - 435 772-0212 or .
16 December, (Monday)
Pipe Spring National Monument
- From 8 am to 5 pm. "It doesn't take long to cover Pipe Spring - it's only 40 acres... we do some road counts along the county road that goes past the monument and along AZ 389." Contact: Andrea Bornemeier, Pipe Spring National Monument 928-643-7105 or .
Snake Valley, NV and UT
- Description: It is located in White Pine County, Nevada, and Millard County, Utah. It includes the towns of Baker, NV and Garrison, UT; some of the eastern side of Great Basin National Park (GRBA), and Pruess Reservoir. It has habitat from the desert floor - salt brush, to sagebrush, to pinyon-juniper, to fir-spruce forests or mountain mahogany thickets. There are several creeks, stock ponds, irrigation ditches and a fish rearing station included. If there is snow, snowshoes or x/c skis, and 4wd vehicles might come in handy! GRBA has a few pairs of snowshoes for loan. (let me know so I can borrow some ahead of time, if you are interested). Bring a telescope if you want to bird Pruess Reservoir, or check out that Northern Shrike or Merlin on a distant pole!
Meet: We will meet at the new Great Basin Visitor Center Resource Building on the north end of Baker at 8:00 am. At dusk, we will meet at a local restaurant for a hot meal and a quick tally. The $5.00 fee is no longer required for each participant - but donations to the Audubon Society are still welcomed to help cover their costs. This count is supported by Great Basin National Park and the Western Parks Association.
Contact: Melissa Renfro -- contact me at or 775 234-7154. For information about local businesses check out www.greatbasinpark.com. For information about the Park itself go to www.nps.gov/grba.
17 December, (Tuesday)
Bryce Canyon Cedar City
- All birders are welcome to join us on this count. Previous experience is preferred, but we are willing to train new birders. Contact, Keith Day at or 435 865-6100
18 December, (Wednesday)
Bear River Refuge
- Meet at McDonald’s (1838 W 2700 N, Farr West – just east of 1-15 exit 349) for breakfast or at 8:30 am to carpool. This is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars.
- Everyone will meet at theat 8:00am. There will be coffee and donuts or muffins. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607, or Jens & Kathy Munthe - 435-826-4755
19 December, (Thursday)
- "I believe they are meeting at the Anasazi State Park at 8 am..."
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607
21 December, (Saturday)
Dead Horse Point | 2012 report - PDF | Kanab
- Everyone will meet at the Kanab BLM office 669 S Highway 89 A at 8:00am. There will be coffee and donuts or muffins. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
Contact – Lisa Church at (435)644-1273,
- We are pleased to announce the 3rd annual Utah Birders Park City Christmas Bird Count and invite you to participate! The Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is a census of birds performed annually in December and January by volunteer birders. The purpose is to provide population data for use in science, especially conservation biology--though many people participate just for fun.
The 2013 Park City CBC will take place on Saturday, December 21, 2013 starting at 8am and going until 5pm (or until there are not more birds to be seen). We will split up into several teams to cover areas from Jordanelle north to Jeremy Ranch and from Summit Park east to Rockport and Peoa.
We will announce a meeting location prior to the event, but it has not been determined at this time.
For the CBC we will split into smaller groups of 2-4 birders. Each team will be led by a member of the Utah Birders that will help identify the species encountered and share some information about the birds along the way. For those interested we will meet at 5:30pm after at a location TBD to compile all the checklists and share stories from the day.
THERE IS NO COST TO PARTICIPATE in this years CBC. National Audubon Society has done away with their fees, and we will not be collecting money as a fundraiser this year.
If you have any questions feel free to contact us at email@example.com or call Carl at 801-688-5017, Jeff at 801-842-4013, or Tim at 801-440-3035. (sign up)
- Participants will receive final assignments at the Utah County Birders meeting on December 12 at 7:00 PM (location TBD). At this time participants will be organized into groups and assigned various areas of the count circle. Interested people should contact Bryan Shirley at 801-722-9346 or email , especially if they won't be at the meeting.
23 December, (Monday)
- Meet at the Utah DWR (515 East 5300 South, South Ogden) at 7:30 am to carpool for breakfast at Spring Chicken Inn (4 North State Street in Morgan) at 8:00 am. We try to leave the Spring Chicken Inn about 9am to start counting. For more info, email Weston smith at .
26 December, (Thursday)
- The St. George Christmas Bird Count has a high count possible (everyone, including birds, likes coming here for the winter). We have beautiful scenery, great weather, and nice people. Please state your name, email address, level of birding, and if you are familiar with the area. We want this to be a great experience for you. Questions? Contact Marilyn Davis - 435 673-0996 or .
28 December, (Saturday) Bear Lake
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. The count usually has 10-15 observers. I am especially looking for a small group to snowshoe into a USFS conifer area that has never been counted in the circle. Outside of count week, I have observed a variable but fair number of birds and species in this area.
Dinosaur NM / Jensen
- Meet at the welcome center on Highway 40 in Jensen at 0800. Hope to see you there! Contact Kathy Paulin at:
- The Silver Reef Christmas Bird Count is diverse with ponds, reservoirs, historical sites, beautiful scenery, and great weather. Please give your name, email address, level of birding, and if you are familiar iwth the area. We want this to be a great experience fo you. If you have questions, call Marilyn Davis at 435 673-0996 or email at .
29 December, (Sunday)
Bluff (not held in 2011 through 2013)
- Come help us count birds in one of the most scenic count areas in the United States. We'll have a pre-count meeting and make count area assignments Sunday evening (12/28) in the Recapture Lodge at 7 p.m. The count will begin at 7 a.m. Monday morning in the north parking lot of the Recapture Lodge and run until dusk.
Recapture Lodge: 250 South Main Street, PO Box 309 Bluff, UT 84512, Phone 435-672-2281, Fax 435-672-2284 Contact: Lu Giddings - 801-423-1682 or .
1 January, (Wednesday) Antelope Island
- Meet at 7:00 am in the parking lot outside Antelope Island State Park entrance kiosk. This is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars.
- Leaders: Jeanne Le Ber and Ray Smith - meet at 7am at Johanna’s Kitchen, 9725 South State Street, Sandy (801-566-1762). Assignments will be distributed and groups will start birding at 8am. Team reports and count tally will begin at 6pm at the Sizzler on 9000 S. & State St. To sign up, or for more information, call Jeanne or Ray at (801-532-7384).
4 January, (Saturday)
Fish Springs NWR
- We will begin the count by 9:30 am at the refuge headquarters. There will be chili or stew available for lunch for all participants. This is a great chance to come out and see species that can only be found here in the winter. Overnight lodging may be provided upon request for the night before and/or after the count for those who pre-register and request housing in advance. Please take the time to pre-register, it helps insure that we have enough participants, enough food for a hot lunch and enough places for everyone to sleep. additional information will be provided to those who contact us via email requesting additional information. Contact: Tiffany Cummins at
- Meet at NPS-Glen Canyon headquarters at 0730, on Highway 89 near Page Golf Course. John Spence at: (928) 608-6267 or
- Join us at Wasatch Mountain State Park and the surrounding area. We will meet at 8:00 am at the Visitor Center located at 1281 Warm Springs Road, Midway, Utah 84049. Contact: Kathy Donnell at (435) 654-1791 or .
- The Payson count will be on Jan 4. Great way to start the new year!
Hopefully you can come out and enjoy the best Holiday Tradition!
For more info contact Bryan Shirley at 801-722-9346 or