Christmas Bird Counts in Utah
2021 Christmas Bird Count Schedule
There is no required fee to participate. We welcome donations to support the CBC program.
You can donate on the Audubon Website.
* (Information from last year is in this color-- last year's schelude - at the bottom of this page).
14 December, (Tuesday)
Grand Staricase-Escalante N.M.
Compiler: Kathy Munthe at firstname.lastname@example.org; home phone 826-4755; cell phone in the field (in case you see something weird/need a confirmation) 435-612-3314 or 435-612-3316.
Turning in Data: you scan and email me your results or send them via the PO (Box 80).
15 December, (Wednesday)
Bear River Refuge
- Contact John Bellmon for information (email@example.com). Meet at the Bear River Refuge headquarters parking lot.(at 9 a.m.). We will divide into three teams to cover different areas. Bring water and lunch.
Fish Springs NWR
- Fish Springs NWR CBC Wednesday December 15th. Meet at the Fish Springs HQ building at 9am for assignments. For those unfamiliar with the area, Fish Springs NWR is located in a remote and isolated part of the West Desert. Cell phone service is limited or non-existent in the area. Access roads are unpaved and higher clearance vehicles are recommended for traveling to and from the refuge. Contact Keeli Marvel at firstname.lastname@example.org or Patrick Moffet at email@example.com to RSVP for the count. Limited overnight lodging is available at the refuge bunkhouse on a first-come first-serve basis. Please contact the Station Manager, Patrick Moffett to sign up for lodging.
Snake Valley, NV and UT
- For information contact Gretchen Baker at 775-234-7541 or email
- (Information from previous year: Description: The Snake Valley Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is located in White Pine County, Nevada, and Millard County, Utah. It includes the towns of Baker, NV and Garrison, UT; some of the eastern side of Great Basin National Park, and Pruess Reservoir. It has habitat from the desert floor - saltbrush, to sagebrush, to pinyon-juniper, to fir-spruce forests or mountain mahogany thickets. There are several creeks, stock ponds, irrigation ditches and a fish rearing station included.
Some years there is enough snow in the higher elevations for skiing bird counters! Bring snowshoes or skis, if you have them, just in case. There are a few pairs of snowshoes for loan up at the Park - Lehman Cave Visitor Center. Don't forget your digital camera and spotting scopes, too. Bring snacks - few businesses are open in the winter. Since we are in such a remote location, we can always use more help! .
The count starts at 8 am and continue throughout the day. If you'd like to sign up or learn more, contact Gretchen Baker at 775-234-7541 or email
Park info; www.nps.gov/grba
Area businesses; www.greatbasinpark.com)
16 December, (Thursday)
- Compiler: Lisa Young, email firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 435-690-0548.
Turning in Data: You can scan and email your results to Lisa or leave them at the front desk of Anasazi State Park in Boulder.
Winter birds are rather scarce as of this writing, so we need as many people beating the bushes (literally) as possible. Hope to hear from you!
17 December, (Friday)
- All birders are welcome to join us on this count. Previous experience is prefered, but we are willing to train new birders. Contact Keith Day at email@example.com or phone (435) 865-6120.
- Contact Lisa Church at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (information fromprevious year: Everyone will meet at the New Kanab Convention center Board Room, 20 N 100 E, Kanab, UT 84741.
Call Lisa Church (435) 644-1273 for details).
- Contact Weston Smith at email@example.com (Information from previous year: Meet at the Utah DWR (515 E 5300 S, South Ogden) to carpool at 7:30. Or meet at Arnold Smith’s house in Morgan, 796 N 700 E, at 8:00am. It is an all day trip so bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars).
18 December, (Saturday) Bryce Canyon Website
- Please contact Peter Densmore (435-834-4744 firstname.lastname@example.org) at Bryce Canyon National Park for more information on the count and how to participate.
(Information form previous year: Whether you are a "bird nerd" or someone who just likes nature and the outdoors, please join Bryce Canyon National Park in continuing the CBC tradition. Several routes are available from strenuous hikes to easy drives. We can match your skills/abilities with other birders to make the day fun and successful.
Free t-shirts will be available for all birders.
The count will begin at 8:00am on Saturday, 12/21 at the Bryce Canyon Visitor Center. The count will occur within a 15-mile diameter circle surrounding Bryce Canyon National Park. Please contact Peter Densmore (435-834-4744 email@example.com) at Bryce Canyon National Park for more information on the count and how to participate.)
Evanston WY and UT
Those interested in participating in the annual Evanston Christmas Bird Count (CBC) should meet 8:00 a.m., December 18th, at the Hornet's Nest Gas Station, 8 miles north of Evanston on Rt. 89.
he Evanston circle holds the all-time record count for Greater Sage-Grouse, 698 in 1986. 3,450 birds and 49 species were tallied in the Evanston count last year. This will be the 40th year for the Evanston CBC.
About 40% of the count circle area is in Utah.
- Contact event coordinator Marcy Hafner at 435-259-6197 or .(From previous year: The Moab Bird Club will hold its annual Christmas Bird Count on Saturday, December 14, 2018. For more information, or to sign up, please contact event coordinator Marcy Hafner at 435-259-6197 or .)
- Contact John Bellmon for information (firstname.lastname@example.org). [Last-years info: Meet at 7:00 am at Denny’s (Take 21st Street to 1100 West, on north side by Flying J Plaza, Ogden) for breakfast and to get your assignment. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. Potluck dinner at 6:00 pm at UCC Church (3350 South Harrison Blvd.) for compilation of data. Bring table service and a dish to share.]
Ouray National Wildlife Refuge / Green River
- We invite you to join us for the annual Christmas Bird Count at Ouray National Wildlife Refuge. Birders of all experience levels are welcome! If you've ever watched birds, you know how interesting and engaging they can be. Whether you're a beginning bird watcher or an advanced birder, consider heading outdoors to help gather data on birds in the area! We are partnering with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Audubon Society to host the 17th Annual Ouray Christmas Bird Count at Ouray National Wildlife Refuge near Randlett, Utah. To register and learn more, please see our Eventbrite page.
- Contact Tonya Kieffer-Selby at 801-995-2972 or email me at, .
- Provo CBC Saturday Dec 18th. We are holding our potluck and tally this year at 6pm at the Utah Lake State Park conference room, so bring a prepared food item to share and come join us at the end of the count day. Contact Keeli Marvel at email@example.com or 801-602-9566 for count area assignments.
Salt Lake City
- If you want to volunteer for this count, contact Ian Batterman firstname.lastname@example.org(, or call or text 920.360.0805) for more information. The CBC is a survey and not a typical birding field trip. The goal is to count all the bird species and individuals in an area, so it is a long and fast-paced day depending on which area you count.
- From infomation contract Sandy Borthwick at Robinwick1@yahoo.com
(Info from previous year: We will meet at 8 am on the 14th at the Chuckwagon General Store in Torrey. Counting teams will depart that location by no later than 8:15-8:30 am.. As is the tradition for our Torrey CBC, there will be a group potluck the night before the count and a fun post count feed and party at Casa Jay after the count. To find out more contact Count Coordinator Jay Banta at (preferred) or at 4354963600. Map
- Contact Adam Reimer at email@example.com. (Infor from previous year: This count circle falls within and adjacent to Zion National Park. Individual zones are pre-assigned before count day. Participants that pre-register with the compiler will have the park entrance fee waived. Count tally and pot luck starts at 5 PM in the Zion Nature Center located in the park.)
19 December, (Sunday) Park City
- Join us for the 11th annual Utah Birders Park City Christmas Bird Count! The Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is a census of birds performed annually in December and January by volunteer birders. The purpose is to provide population data for use in science, especially conservation biology--though many people participate just for fun.
We will meet at 7:45 AM at the Swaner EcoCenter in Park City for coffee and a snack, then split up into several teams to cover areas from Jordanelle north, to Jeremy Ranch and Summit Park east, to Rockport and Peoa.
If you have any questions feel free to visit us at utahbirders.com/cbc or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nate Brown at 970-978-1804, email@example.com.
We hope to see you on the 11th annual Park City CBC!.
27 December, (Monday)
- Please join us for the St. George Christmas Bird Count on Friday, December 27. We need lots of birders, whether beginners or experts, to find all the feathered beasts using St. George as a winter hideout. The scenery is spectacular and our local naturalists can guide you to the best wintering birds. Please register with the lead compiler, Ken Hinton - (firstname.lastname@example.org), 435-772-1019, leaving your name, contact information, and whether you’re familiar with the area. The CBC is the longest running citizen science effort in the world. Come be a part of the fun this year in southern Utah!
28 December, (Tuesday)
Silver Reef . See map.
- Join us for the historic Silver Reef Christmas Bird Count. This count covers diverse habitats in southwest Utah, including ponds, reservoirs, historical sites, red sandstone deserts and cliffs, and usually warm winter weather. Please register with the lead compiler, Marshall Topham, (email@example.com), (435) 632-7841, with your name, contact information, and whether you’re familiar with the area. The CBC is the longest running citizen science effort in the world. Come be a part of the fun this year in southern Utah!
1 January, (Saturday)
- Contact John Bellmon for information (firstname.lastname@example.org). [previous-years info:
- Meet at the parking lot outside Antelope Island State Park entrance kiosk at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. This is a fee area.
- Payson CBC Saturday Jan 1st. Contact Bryan Shirley at 801-722-9346 or email@example.com for assignments.
Dinosaur NM / Jensen
- For information Kathy Paulin at:
- (From previous year) We meet at 0800 at the welcome center/rest stop on Highway 40 in Jensen, UT. We have a potluck lunch at a participant's home (in the circle). Half-day participation is OK. Most birding is from the road/car, but some walking/hiking is needed.
For more info contact)
2 January, (Sunday) Heber Valley
- Join us at Wasatch Mountain State Park and the surrounding area. We will meet at 8:00 am (until 5 pm) at the Visitor Center located at 1281 Warm Springs Road, Midway, Utah 84049. For more information contact: Kathy Donnell at (435) 654-1791 or .
Information From Last Year, ↓ ↓ ↓
1 January, (Wednesday) Jordan River
- Participants meet at 7:00 a.m. at Kneader's Bakery & Cafe, located at 177 East 13800 South, Draper, UT,(801-838-7700) for breakfast and to establish birding teams. There are 9 teams that bird within the count circle. This year we have a biologist from Camp Williams who will lead a team on that property (this will be our first time birding at the Camp). Teams are assigned during breakfast and CBC instructions are shared with the groups. Beginner, intermediate and expert birders are invited and encouraged to spend the first day of the new year birding with us. At 5:00 p.m. participants meet at Sizzlers (9000 South 20 West, Sandy, UT - 801-566-8021) to talk about their day and turn in tally sheets. Please contact Jeanne Le Ber at 801-532-7384, or 801-230-4373 (talk or text) or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating. Thanks.
3 January, (Friday)
Glen Canyon (Page, AZ)
- Meet at NPS-Glen Canyon headquarters at 0730, on Highway 89 near Page Golf Course. be prepared for cold conditions, bring water, lunch and warm clothes. Some teams will be on Lake Powell or the Colorado River via boats.
Contact: John_Spence@nps.gov; 928-608-6267
26 December, (Wednesday)
Bear Lake (Utah Count)
- Count circle extends from the Ut-Id line south to Laketown, Ut. About half of the land area is privately owned and half is managed by the USFS, BLM, and SITLA. 40% of the circle is covered by the waters of Bear Lake. Habitats includes lake shoreline, open water, residential, farm, riparian, big sagebrush, mountain brush, aspen and conifer. Count circle is divided into 6 count areas. 55 species and 2,000-3,000 birds are usually counted. December 30, 2018, will be the 22th consecutive count. Contact Dennis D. Austin at 1-435-245-4177.
3 January, (Thursday)
Bear Lake (Idaho Count)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. (The Bear Lake CBC on the Utah side is on December 27th.
4 January, (Friday)
Dead Horse Point
- Looking for experienced birders to be route leaders and welcoming novice birders to join the fun. The count will begin at 8 a.m. and continue until 5 p.m. All participants will need to pack a lunch, dress in layers, and bring lots of water. All participants will receive a free dayuse entry for the Park to be used at a later date. To sign-up to help with the Dead Horse Point State Park CBC, please email Crystal White at email@example.com by January 2nd.
Previous Years ↓ ↓ ↓ (Counts that are registered but may no longer be held)
Pipe Spring National Monument (not being held in 2015)
- From 8 am to 5 pm. "It doesn't take long to cover Pipe Spring - it's only 40 acres... we do some road counts along the county road that goes past the monument and along AZ 389." Contact: Paula Ogden-Muse, "I would like folks to contact me about their interest to be sure that we meet each other at the visitor center at the correct time:" 928-643-7105 x 16 (Monday - Friday) or via email . Poster
Bluff (not held -- 2011 through 2014)
- Come help us count birds in one of the most scenic count areas in the United States. We'll have a pre-count meeting and make count area assignments Sunday evening (12/28) in the Recapture Lodge at 7 p.m. The count will begin at 7 a.m. Monday morning in the north parking lot of the Recapture Lodge and run until dusk.
Recapture Lodge: 250 South Main Street, PO Box 309 Bluff, UT 84512, Phone 435-672-2281, Fax 435-672-2284 Contact: Lu Giddings - 801-423-1682 or .