Christmas Bird Counts in Utah
2017 Christmas Bird Count Schedule
There is no required fee to participate. We welcome donations to support the CBC program.
You can donate on the Audubon Website.
* (Information from last year is in this color-- and is listed at the bottom of this page).
14 December, (Thursday) Grand Staircase-Escalante
- Everyone will meet at (435 826-5499). There will be coffee and donuts or muffins. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.at the Interagency Visitor Center at 8:00am
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607, or Jens & Kathy Munthe - 435-826-4755
15 December, (Friday) Kanab
- Everyone will meet in Kanab at the BLM at 669 S Highway 89 A at 8:30 am. (435 644-1200). we will have t shirts, doughnuts and assign routes. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
Contact – Lisa Church at (435)644-1273.
16 December, (Saturday)
Bryce Canyon Evanston WY and UT
Those interested in participating in the annual Evanston Christmas Bird Count (CBC) should meet on Sunday, December 16th, 7:30 am at the Hornet's Nest Gas Station, 8 miles north of Evanston on Rt. 89.
The Evanston circle holds the all-time record count for Greater Sage-Grouse, 698 in 1986. This will be the 35th year for the Evanston CBC.
For more details contact Tim or Patti Gorman at 307-789-3833 or 307-679-0656.
- Meet at 7:00 am at Denny’s (Take 21st Street to 1100 West, on north side by Flying J Plaza, Ogden) for breakfast and to get your assignment. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. Potluck dinner at 6:00 pm at UCC Church (3350 South Harrison Blvd.) for compilation of data. Bring table service and a dish to share.
Ouray National Wildlife Refuge / Green River
- Meet at 8am at the Ouray NWR Visitor Center in northeastern Utah. We are only 1 of 2 CBC's that happen in this corner.
Please bring a light breakfast snack and/or some coffee/OJ/milk to share with your fellow birders.
For more info, message Tonya Kieffer or email me at, .
- As usual, our meeting this month on the 14th will include a preparation for the Christmas Bird Count and then we we'll go over the assignments and groups. Please let me know if you can't be at the meeting and want to participate in the bird count. Plan on attending the result compiling and pot luck dinner too after the bird count!
For more info about the bird count contact Bryan Shirley: , 801-722-9346
Salt Lake City
- Registration is now open for the Salt Lake Christmas Bird Count which is scheduled for Saturday, December 16th. This event is free and is open to birders of all skill levels. If you are a beginner, you wll be able to join a team that includes experienced birders. Contact Ian Batterman at or 920-360-0805 if you would like to participate or to obtain further information.
If you are unable to join a field team and you live within the boundaries of the count circle, you can stay home and report the birds that visit your feeders. Ian will be coordinating the backyard bird watching portion of the count this year, so contact him at or 920-360-0805 to register and get the necessary forms and instruction.
Great Salt Lake Audubon will host a potluck social with team reports and door prizes following the count, beginning at 6:00 p.m. at the Chase Mill at Tracy Aviary in Liberty Park. This is an enjoyable way to celebrate the CBC with friends after a great day of counting birds. Please bring a favorite dish to share: appetizer, salad, vegetables, main dish or dessert. GSLA will supply the beverages. To reduce paper/plastic waste, please bring your own utensils and plates. Contact Jeanne Le Ber 801-532-7384 or if you have questions.
This is always a very fun event so we hope you can join us!
17 December, (Sunday)
- We are pleased to announce the 7th annual Utah Birders Park City Christmas Bird Count and invite you to participate! The Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is a census of birds performed annually in December and January by volunteer birders. The purpose is to provide population data for use in science, especially conservation biology--though many people participate just for fun.
The 2017 Park City CBC will take place on Sunday, December 17, 2017 starting at 8:00 AM and going until 12:30 PM. We will split up into several teams to cover areas from Jordanelle north to Jeremy Ranch and from Summit Park east to Rockport and Peoa.
For more information and to sign up visit http://www.utahbirders.com/cbc
We will begin meeting at 7:45 AM at the Park City Bread & Bagel in Jeremy Ranch:
The CBC is a free event, but we encourage anyone who participates to donate $5 to our ongoing conservation effort for birds here in Utah.
If you have any questions feel free to visit us at utahbirders.com/cbc or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nate Brown at 970-978-1804 email@example.com.
We hope to see you on the 7th annual Park City CBC!
18 December, (Monday)
19 December, (Tuesday)
- Meet at 8 am at the Anasazi State Park Theater (435) 335-7308.
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607
20 December, (Wednesday)
Bear River Refuge
- Meet at McDonald’s (1838 W 2700 N, Farr West – just east of 1-15 exit 349) at 8 am for breakfast or about 9 am at refuge visitors center. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars
- All birders are welcome to join us on this count. Previous experience is preferred, but we are willing to train new birders. Contact, Keith Day at or 435 586-6100
26 December, (Tuesday)
Bear Lake (Utah Count)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. The count usually has 10 or more observers. About 55 species and 2,000 birds are annually counted.
- Call Marilyn Davis at 435 673-0996 to sign up -- or send an email ( )
- with Name, Address, Experience, How many you would like to go with you, and I will tell you where to pick up Packet and where we will meet to Compile figures. It used to be possible to have 115 species. With growth, we will be lucky to have 100 species. There are wild spots in middle of St. George. Parks, rivers, the LDS Temple always has a surprise in store, Ivins, Santa Clara, Washington, Washington Fields, all Golf Courses and great people to bird with.
27 December, (Wednesday)
- Meet at the Spring Chicken Inn on state street in Morgan at 8 am for breakfast or at 9 am if not eating. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. For more info, email Weston smith at .
28 December, (Thursday)
- Call Marilyn Davis at 435 673-0996 to sign up -- or send an email ( ) with
Name, Address, Experience, How many you would like to go with you, and I will tell you where to pick up Packet and where we will meet to Compile figures. This is a great area. Varied elevations and habitat. Two large reservoirs, forested area, desert area, small towns like Leeds, Silver Reef, Hurricane, Hurricane Mesa, LaVerkin, Virgin River, Toquerville, Confluence and great people to bird with.
30 December, (Saturday)
- The Payson count will be on Jan 2. Great way to start the new year!
Hopefully you can come out and enjoy the best Holiday Tradition!
For more info contact Bryan Shirley at 801-722-9346 or
1 January, (Monday)
- Meet at the parking lot outside Antelope Island State Park entrance kiosk at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. This is a fee area.
Dinosaur NM / Jensen
- I would like new participants to contact me for more info: Kathy Paulin at:
- The Jordan River CBC is held on Monday, January 1. Participants meet at 7:00 a.m. at Kneader's Bakery & Cafe, located at 177 East 13800 South, Draper, UT,(801-838-7700) for breakfast and to establish birding teams. There are 8 teams that bird within the count circle. Teams are assigned during breakfast and CBC instructions are shared with the groups. Beginner, intermediate and expert birders are invited and encouraged to spend the first day of the new year birding with us. At 5:00 p.m. participants meet at Sizzlers (9000 South 20 West, Sandy, UT - 801-566-8021) to talk about their day and turn in tally sheets. Please contact Jeanne Le Ber or Ray Smith at 801-532-7384 or if you are interested in participating. Thanks.
2 January, (Tuesday)
3 January, (Wednesday)
Bear Lake (Idaho Count)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. (The Bear Lake CBC on the Utah side is on December 27th.
Glen Canyon (Page, AZ)
- Meet at Glen Canyon NRA headquarters on Highway 89 at 07:30 a.m. The count will take place on the Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam, nearby segments of Lake Powell, and by land within our count radius. For questions contact John Spence at: (928) 608-6267 or . Free T-Shirts will be provided to participants by the Glen Canyon Natural History Association. (Folks will have the options of going on the boats onto the lake).
5 January, (Friday)
- Join us at Wasatch Mountain State Park and the surrounding area. We will meet at 8:00 am (until 5 pm) at the Visitor Center located at 1281 Warm Springs Road, Midway, Utah 84049. For more information contact: Kathy Donnell at (435) 654-1791 or .
Previous Year, (In the order in which they were held last year)
Snake Valley, NV and UT
- Description: The Snake Valley Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is located in White Pine County, Nevada, and Millard County, Utah. It includes the towns of Baker, NV and Garrison, UT; some of the eastern side of Great Basin National Park, and Pruess Reservoir. It has habitat from the desert floor - saltbrush, to sagebrush, to pinyon-juniper, to fir-spruce forests or mountain mahogany thickets. There are several creeks, stock ponds, irrigation ditches and a fish rearing station included.
Some years there is enough snow in the higher elevations for skiing bird counters! Bring snowshoes or skis, if you have them, just in case. There are a few pairs of snowshoes for loan up at the Park - Lehman Cave Visitor Center. Don't forget your digital camera and spotting scopes, too. Bring snacks - few businesses are open in the winter. Since we are in such a remote location, we can always use more help! .
The count starts at 8 am and continue throughout the day. If you'd like to sign up or learn more, contact Gretchen Baker at 775-234-7541 or email
Park info; www.nps.gov/grba
Area businesses; www.greatbasinpark.com
- We will meet at 8 am on the 14th at the Chuckwagon General Store in Torrey.
- Counting teams will depart that location by no later than 8:15-8:30 am.. As is the tradition for our Torrey CBC, there will be a group potluck the night before the count and a fun post count feed and party at Casa Jay after the count. To find out more contact Count Coordinator Jay Banta at (preferred) or at 4354963600. Map
1 January, (Sunday)
5 January, (Thursday)
Dead Horse Point | 2012 report - PDF | Fish Springs NWR
- Please contact Tiffany Cummins at if you have any questions or would like to attend.
Pipe Spring National Monument (not being held in 2015)
- From 8 am to 5 pm. "It doesn't take long to cover Pipe Spring - it's only 40 acres... we do some road counts along the county road that goes past the monument and along AZ 389." Contact: Paula Ogden-Muse, "I would like folks to contact me about their interest to be sure that we meet each other at the visitor center at the correct time:" 928-643-7105 x 16 (Monday - Friday) or via email . Poster
Bluff (not held -- 2011 through 2014)
- Come help us count birds in one of the most scenic count areas in the United States. We'll have a pre-count meeting and make count area assignments Sunday evening (12/28) in the Recapture Lodge at 7 p.m. The count will begin at 7 a.m. Monday morning in the north parking lot of the Recapture Lodge and run until dusk.
Recapture Lodge: 250 South Main Street, PO Box 309 Bluff, UT 84512, Phone 435-672-2281, Fax 435-672-2284 Contact: Lu Giddings - 801-423-1682 or .