Re: [birdnet] Fulvous Whistling-Ducks

Kris Purdy mentioned that this might be an irruption year (yes, I think the term can apply to ducks) for Fulvous Whistling-Ducks. I don't have any information about other sightings beyond the normal range of this species, but I can say that the numbers of Fulvous Whistling-Ducks here in San Blas are much higher than I've ever seen. Sometimes it's difficult to find even a few among the thousands of Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks, but this year there are hundreds of Fulvous, and they have been showing up on ponds all over, including some ponds where I've never seen them before. So, at least from here, it looks like there are plenty of Fulvous Whistling-Ducks this year to send a couple of strays your way.

Of course, this isn't the first sighting of this species in Utah. Now the idea of seeing Wood Stork or Roseatte Spoonbill in Utah doesn't seem so far-fetched. I hope they stay around for a few days, as I'm headed back north for a brief visit this week, and would love to add it to my Utah list . . .

What a great find!

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.
www.westwings.com
mark@westwings.com
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)