Cackling goose???

Hi,

Judy & I saw this bird in Layton today. I think it's a Cackling Goose,
but will never know for sure, I suppose. You can tell from the pictures
that it's only slightly larger than the Mallard. The primaries appear to
extend beyond the tail. It was hanging out by itself, away from the
other Canada Geese. A rather tame Trumpeter Swan with a leg band was
also there.

http://bailey.aros.net/nature/images/Cackling%20goose%20reduced.jpg
http://bailey.aros.net/nature/images/Cackling%20goose%201%20reduced.jpg
http://bailey.aros.net/nature/images/Cackling%20goose%202%20reduced.jpg
http://bailey.aros.net/nature/images/Cackling%20goose%203%20reduced.jpg

About a dozen Hoodies were seen at Kaysville Ponds.

We struck out on the Fulvous Whistling-Duck :-(

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Holladay, UT 84117
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold