Shrike Caching

I got to see the evidence of The Shirke's caching methods on the road to Lytle Ranch.  It was a  grasshopper impaled on a thorn.  They just stick bugs on thorns and come back later for dinner.  I have that photo somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it.

The Jays that come to get our peanuts try to find a leaf to go on top of the peanut that they stick in the lawn.  I think they have to do that to keep the Magpies from stealing their cache.  Doesn't work, of course.  the Magpies find the peanuts and then hide them again.  Who knows who actually gets to eat a peanut.

Nicky Davis
nicky-davis@earthlink.net
www.wildutah.us