Re: Trumpeter Swan Legs

Cliff, I completely agree that the approach isn't to try to make it
into a Trumpeter. I am basing my limited knowledge of the species into
making an ID, and in this case I just don;t see Tundra, when I look at
the bird.  The fact like I said is there just isnt enough to reference
the bird off of in my eyes to dismiss it as a Trumpeter.  Jsut the
same as clearly there is a line, and it could be reversed to say there
isn't enought to say the bird is a Trumpeter.

And jsut a clarification to my last emai:
I actaully meant Tundra when I was referencing the Swan in the middle
pointing out the difference as for the reason I was pointing out the
difference in his juvenile TUNDRA Swan, as to the Salem bird.

>You made the same mistake on the Schmoker bird as was previously made
>and which I pointed out in my post.  The juvenile swan in the photo you
>used for your composite (with comparison of adult and juvenile
>Trumpeters to the Salem bird) is a juvenile Tundra Swan, NOT a juvenile
>Trumpeter.  The caption for that photo, which is on Bill Schmoker's site
>(http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/TRUSs.html, fourth photo down), says
>"Head comparison of juvenile Tundra (right- note very narrow lores) and
>adult Trumpeter Swans,......".

Lastly, on birds being white or not in January, I have seen plenty of
extremely dark Tundra's moving into early February before, despite
books suggesting that both species wilt molt out into January, so
agin, just not enough information.

And thats just one birders opinion.

Good Birding

Tim