Another strange birding anomaly

This is weird! Someone help please!

Story:
Carma (wife) put the Christmas wreath on our front door just after
Thanksgiving. At some point in early December, she brought the wreath in
to add something to it. She laid it on the living room couch that
evening, made the adjustments, then picked it up and put it back on the
front door.

Next morning in the light of day, I noticed something lying on the couch
where the wreath had been. Approaching closer, I see it's a dead mouse
(not dried and shriveled...no rigormortis...fresh, but some mangling of
the head). Sorry for the description, but its condition seems important
to the crime scene investigation.

Naturally, I had to show her. "Honey, why is there a dead mouse on our
couch?" Shrieks and screams ensue. After the melee, we wondered who
would play such a trick on us. "Could/would a bird have done this?" I
wondered.

The wreath is still up. Carma was off work today. I got another phone
call: "You're not going to believe this but there's another mouse in our
wreath today!"

OK, fine. I give up. Who's the culprit? Is this bird activity? What bird
caches it's food (mice)? 22nd W 90th S area of West Jordan. No Jays,
other than their hawk-heckling cousins, the Magpies. No Shrikes. No
mouse eaters other than the occasional Kestrels and SS Hawks/Coopers.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? We have no known human
pranksters in the area, but no birds have ever been witnessed hanging
around our front door.

Confused...and interested.
John