Gray Jays in Sanpete County

Yesterday (Sept 21), My parents and I went for a drive along the Skyline Drive. We started at Tucker in Spanish Fork Canyon (Utah Co.) and left the mountaintop above Spring City (Sanpete Co.). An exceptionally scenic drive. I wish we could have continued on past the Spring City junction but it was getting late in the day. Next year I?ll have to visit the southern end of the drive.

Red-tailed Hawks, White-crowned Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers were abundant but other species were hard to come by. The most interesting sighting was four or five Gray Jays on the skyline drive roughly 3.5 miles north of the spring city junction. Although I now recall once hearing something about Gray Jays being up on the wasatch plateau, I had forgotten, and it was quite a surprise to me when I saw them. They were seen in a very beautiful area were the road cuts through an area with abundant huge boulders and dead snags.

Some other birds seen were; Am Kestrel, H Woodpecker, N Flicker, Cl Nutcracker, St Jay, C Raven, Mt Bluebird, Am Robin, Mt Chickadee, RB Nuthatch, RC Kinglet, GH Junco and P Siskin.

Eric Huish Pleasant Grove UT poorwill_@hotmail.com 801-360-8777