Re: BIRDERS AS A POLITICAL FORCE

Fellow Birders:

I just want to share with our fellow birders that I think the idea of BirdersUnited.com, that Jim McIntyre mentioned in his posting today, is a great idea. Indeed, we all can be part of a political force to apply pressure to encourage preservation of critical avian habitat, and to prevent actions destructive to birds in general. Soon, my car too will sport a BirdersUnited bumper-sticker to help spread the word, and I encourage others to look into www.BirdersUnited.org.

I would also like to thank Jim for sharing the idea with us. While BirdTalk is mostly for posting sightings, it seems to me that it is appropriate to share this sort of information too. If we value the experience of birding, and want to continue to see all of the varieties of birds reported on BirdTalk (I'm sure all would agree with both) then it makes sense to join forces with fellow birders to ensure that birds, their habitats and continued existence is not left to chance in the face of the various threats to birds presented by mankind in general.

For the birds,

Matthew Wallace