Re: Ovenbird

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words, but Mort and Carolyn Somer deserve just as much
credit.  We really tag-teamed the Ovenbird with good preparation (Mort and
Carolyn) and buffoonery (me) and the combined effort is what has made the
sighting possible for others.

Yes, I initially heard/saw/ID'd the bird, but Mort and Carolyn verified the
ID.  They're both more familiar with Ovenbirds from their experience birding
back east and thank goodness for that.  Mort was well-prepared with his
camera along and photographed the bird so y'all would know we weren't
joshin'.  When it came time to mark the location I took a GPS reading, but
that wasn't enough.  I didn't have my pink flagging tape with me because I
was hiking light with only binocs and the GPS.  Carolyn was ready and pulled
out a piece of pink string specifically for the sake of marking bird
locations.  We tied the string to a scrub oak and I ran back to the
trailhead and my truck for the gaudy pink ribbon.

So much for having a GPS with me.  I missed the turn-off down to the parking
lot and got lost once on the way down and twice on the way back up.  I
finally had to take my "lost" route back up to the shoreline trail because
none of the signs seemed to direct me to the place I wanted to go.  I got
back to the Ovenbird site about 30-45 minutes later.  Remember how short the
distance was between the trailhead and the bird's location?!?!?  It took me
30-45 minutes to do the round trip!

Now you know the reason why I gave such specific directions.  No one else
needed to be floundering on unmarked footpaths without being able to get to
where they wanted to go--like a certain buffoon I know who did that very
thing on Saturday.

And that, as they say on the radio, is the rest of the story!

Kris