Ovenbird

I also was in pursuit of the elusive Ovenbird this morning between 9:30
and 12 (must've just missed you, Kris).  I thought I would be able to
get a photo of it. Foolish me!  I was lucky enough only to get an
extremely brief look at him through my binocs enough to see the eye ring
and breast markings before he was off again high up on the hill above
the trail where he stayed the rest of the morning while I stood around
hopefully, camera in hand.  I was later joined by Brooke Snarr (hope I
got his name right). We both had a turn or two bushwhacking above the
trail. Brooke was able to catch a glimpse of his back as he flew off
from where he was singing. Apparently, this bird likes to stay low to
the ground. For the most part, he seems to prefer staying about 30-40
feet or so above the trail in impenetrable scrub oak.  Fortunately, he
was singing off and on most of the morning, so we always knew
approximately where he was.

That was an amazing find, Kris.  I don't know how you do it. Your
directions were right on and the location is clearly marked.

Although I've seen this bird twice before in Upstate New York, it was
fun to be able to check off a new Utah Lifer!

Thanks, Kris!

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Holladay, UT 84117
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold