Mirror Lake Highway

Hi,

Bob Huntington and I tried the Mirror Lake Highway again this morning. The
road is still blocked at the Murdock Basin turnoff, and it seems that the birds
have moved above where you can drive. It may have been the wind, but we did
not see much. Lots of robins, a few solitares, Cassins Finches, Pine Siskins and
Chipping Sparrows, but not nearly the volume that we saw last week.

The only thing worth the trip was a pair of Sandhill Cranes with two chicks
that were about knee high to the parents They were 1.1 miles above the first
pay station that sometimes has a ranger at it. This is the first time I have
seen Sandhill chicks. I was not able to get a picture because most of the time
you could only see their heads and my camera was in the back. By the time the
camera was ready, they had moved into grass that was higher than the chicks. Oh
well.

Jack Binch