UCB Ouray/Pelican Lake trip report

Three hardy souls met at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning (June 4th) to
make the trip to Ouray. The sound of killdeer and a common nighthawk in
the darkness overhead augured well. Our group number later doubled as we
met three more birders at Ouray shortly before 8 a.m.

The Green River is very high and has inundated much of the Leota bottoms
area. Units that were completely dry three weeks ago are now flooded,
and some areas that are normally just marshy are under several feet of
water. It was apparent that, high as the water in the unit is, that it
has receded some 12-18" over the last few days. Some of the dikes we had
hoped to walk were impassible as we had neglected to bring our swim
fins. The Sheppard bottoms area (the auto tour loop) also had water
levels that seemed higher than normal in some areas. But all in all
there was plenty of good habitat for the numerous birds we observed.

Early in the afternoon we drove back up the road to Pelican Lake. The
water level here was also higher than that observed in mid-May, but it
was not as dramatically high as at Ouray. We spent several hours
exploring the area.

It was our good fortune to get good looks at both our target birds,
American bitterns and black terns. The weather was beautiful, the bugs
were not too bad, and the company was great.

Lu Giddings

p.s. - if you visit Ouray be on the look-out for a yellow-billed cuckoo
in the cottonwoods between the boat ramp and the 1st Leota bottoms gate.
We thought we heard one but could never find it; the water levels
beneath and around the trees prevented us from a thorough search.

Participants: Eric Huish, Bonnie Williams, Alton Thygerson, Artis
Thygerson, Bob Bradley, Lu Giddings

Partial trip list (79 spp):
 Pied-billed Grebe
 Eared Grebe