Bear River Refuge Saturday 4/30/2005

Greetings

A visit to Bear River Refuge this morning (escaping a snow storm in Summit
Park) was quite entertaining. I didn't see many new avian species that were
not seen when I visited there on Wednesday, but did pick up Snowy Plover for
the first time this season. The best sightings were two mammals.

It appears that the high water may be flushing some critters from their
normal haunts. We saw a skunk swimming in the channel about 1/2 mile from
the gate, and a long-tailed weasel paused in her foraging long enough to sit
up by the side of the road and check out the vehicle. Images of both of
these mammals can be found at the bottom of the page at the URL

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~drintoul/sabbatical_images/utahbirds.htm

(yeah, I know that they aren't utahbirds, but I didn't want to start a whole
new web page for two mammals!)

Cheers

Dave

Dave Rintoul                                <drintoul at ksu dot edu>
Biology Division - KSU                           ICBM: 39.18N, 96.34W
Manhattan KS 66506-4901                             VOX: 785-532-6615
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~drintoul/              FAX: 785-532-6653
Currently on sabbatical at the University of Utah