Downy Woodpecker, Sharp-shinned Hawk drama

This morning the beautiful little Downy was here drumming and apparently redesigning the entrance on the nest box we put up for for him and his "honey" when the S.S showed up for breakfast. The S.S. flew right to the nest box and stood on top of it-the downy jumped to the other side of the tree-my husband ran out the door to scare away the S.S.  All the A. Goldfinches screamed.  The Downy became one with the tree trunk.  He survived.  I don't know how they do it. I would have had heart failure.  I sure hope that doesn't discourage the Downy from nesting here. I have high hopes for him and his mate.  She's the one that falls asleep horizontally on the suet feeder.

I love that S.S. too, but I think he should eat Starlings only.  My husband says they probably taste too greasy.

Nicky D