Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 11:48 PM
Subject: [BirdTalk] More Ivory-billed info

James,
     Good question.  I think the news of today says it all.  The fact is
that the sighting that brought Cornell and TNC on the scene was the
Kayaker, Gene Sparling.  His report was solid enough to convince and get
the attention of the 2 birder/ornithologists who subsequently saw it later
in 2/2004.  I don't see any evidence to suggest anything to the contrary or
to suggest that those birders were there because of several reliable
sightings in the area.  On the Lab of Ornithology website, they list seven
sightings, starting with the 2/11/2004 report.  They make no comment here
on any prior sightings, including the one from 1999 in the Pearl River area
of Louisiana that was deemed to be quite convincing, although that led to a
search of its own, albeit an unsuccessful one.  Also omitted was any
mention of Mary Scott's report, which, even on her website, lacks an exact
date (Spring 2003) or even approximate location (Arkansas).  So, there is
no way of knowing whether or not her report was possibly from the same
location as the ones that are dominating the press today.  Personally, I
hope it is credible and that it's a different bird.  That would be great
but I do have some doubts.   The seven sightings (deemed credible,
presumably after a "grilling" by John Fitzpatrick) are outlined at:
http://birds.cornell.edu/ivory/story2.htm (this site has many other great
and informative links.)
       Regardless of exactly how this came about, I'm certainly happy that
it was handled, and continues to be handled in a professional and
responsible way.  I am glad to see that habitat protection and the
restoration of the great southern forests are being treated with equal
importance with the flagship species that they are now known to
harbor.  Truly amazing.  Kudos to Cornell (my alma mater...I'm pretty
proud, can you blame me?) and to The Nature Conservancy and to the
strategic alliance that is helping to preserve these amazing places that
hide incredible beauty and unbelievable mysteries.

In addition to the Cornell Lab of O website, the following links are very
informative:

Science Magazine's Article (scientific article describing, in detail why
they are confident that the video footage was an ivory billed)
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/1114103

NPR story (containing the above link..Thanks to NPR for that...I could not
get to the article directly from the Science Website)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4622633

Good Birding,
Matt Williams
Provo, UT