More Ivory-billed info

James,
Good question. I think the news of today says it all. The fact is that the sighting that brought Cornell and TNC on the scene was the Kayaker, Gene Sparling. His report was solid enough to convince and get the attention of the 2 birder/ornithologists who subsequently saw it later in 2/2004. I don't see any evidence to suggest anything to the contrary or to suggest that those birders were there because of several reliable sightings in the area. On the Lab of Ornithology website, they list seven sightings, starting with the 2/11/2004 report. They make no comment here on any prior sightings, including the one from 1999 in the Pearl River area of Louisiana that was deemed to be quite convincing, although that led to a search of its own, albeit an unsuccessful one. Also omitted was any mention of Mary Scott's report, which, even on her website, lacks an exact date (Spring 2003) or even approximate location (Arkansas). So, there is no way of knowing whether or not her report was possibly from the same location as the ones that are dominating the press today. Personally, I hope it is credible and that it's a different bird. That would be great but I do have some doubts. The seven sightings (deemed credible, presumably after a "grilling" by John Fitzpatrick) are outlined at: http://birds.cornell.edu/ivory/story2.htm (this site has many other great and informative links.)
Regardless of exactly how this came about, I'm certainly happy that it was handled, and continues to be handled in a professional and responsible way. I am glad to see that habitat protection and the restoration of the great southern forests are being treated with equal importance with the flagship species that they are now known to harbor. Truly amazing. Kudos to Cornell (my alma mater...I'm pretty proud, can you blame me?) and to The Nature Conservancy and to the strategic alliance that is helping to preserve these amazing places that hide incredible beauty and unbelievable mysteries.

In addition to the Cornell Lab of O website, the following links are very informative:

Science Magazine's Article (scientific article describing, in detail why they are confident that the video footage was an ivory billed)
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/1114103

NPR story (containing the above link..Thanks to NPR for that...I could not get to the article directly from the Science Website)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4622633

Good Birding,
Matt Williams
Provo, UT

The credit for rediscovering the bird is attributed to kayaker G. Sparling who spotted it in the Cache River NWR in Arkansas on Feb, 11, 2004. What's the story? Is Mary Scott's claim being discredited?