Grasshoppers Sparrows in Plymouth

Grasshopper Sparrows have returned to the field northwest of the Nucor Steel Plant in Plymouth, Box Elder County.  Lynn Carroll, Jack Rensel and I saw and heard hmmmm...maybe 3-5 individuals this morning as we stalked them over the northernmost part of the field.

The field lies fallow this year as opposed to being planted with nice, dark, green (and helpful) alfalfa as in previous years.  The color of the gray/brown grassy-weedy covering causes the birds to be even more difficult to detect when perched on low weeds.  Singing birds that faced us and teed up on weeds were nearly invisible.  However, we continue to follow their maddening song and saw several sparrows in profile or back views.  We watched them sing through a spotting scope or binocs.  One bird perched on a dead sunflower plant a foot or two higher than the dull grass and it was a nice treat to see him clearly.

We also saw a lone Sharp-tailed Grouse in this field.

To reach this area, take I-15 north to exit 394.  Turn west.  After crossing the Malad River zig north and zag west around the steel plant and then turn left (south) at 7600W.  This turn is 2.3 miles from the north-bound exit ramp.  The Grasshopper Sparrows are in the field on your right as you drive south on 7600W.

Kris