From: "Tim Avery" <tanager@timaverybirding.com>
To: <birdtalk@utahbirds.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:48 PM
Subject: SANDERLING and other Migrants

I birded Antelope Island today. The first bird to spark my interest was at the metal culverts between MM 1 and MM 2. With my binos I could only make it out to be a "plain" looking shorebird. When I got the scope on it, I was surprised to see an Adult SANDERLING (nonbreeeding plumage) picking about the rocks. As I was watching this bird, I suddenly notcied there were 2 LEAST SANDPIPER's sitting less than 3 feet away. I could watch both species in the scope, great for a size comparison.

At the Visitor Center, I pished for a second and a ROCK WREN appeared, then another. I am assuming these are the same birds found in January.

On the road to Garr Ranch I managed to find 3 AMEREICAN TREE SPARROW's. As I watched these birds another sparrow came flying out of the brush chasing them off. When it landed I was again surpirsed, this time to see a CHIPPING SPARROW now controlling the tree. (is this early for a chipper in Utah?)

At the ranch it was fairly dull, except for 4 AMERICAN KESTREL fighting over a nesting box at the picnic area.

On the way back to the causeway a PRAIRIE FALCON flew over the road near the Frary Peak Trailhead. And where the fence crosses the road about a mile form the main loop, 2 CHUKAR crossed in front of my car.

As I was driving along Antelope Drive back towards I-15, 5 DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANT's flew in and landed on the pond at Glen Eagle Golf Course.

I stopped by Kaysville Ponds, they were dead.

Next I headed to Glover's Lane to scope the ducks, and found a plethora:

15  Gadwall
7   Cinnamon Teal
4   Green-winged Teal
75+ Canvasback
3   Redhead
50+ Ring-necked Duck
4   Lesser Scaup
8   Common Goldeneye
2   Bufflehead
11  Mallard
5   Northern Pintail
2   Northern Shoveler
3   American Wigeon

Not to mention a large number of Canada Geese and a BALD EAGLE watching
patiently from a power pole. (No Peregrine Today)

My last migrant sighting was coming back in to Salt Lake County, gliding over Interstate 15 were 2 TURKEY VULTURE's.

Good Birding... Good Migration...

Tim

Salt Lake City, UT or Beloit, WI
http://www.timaverybirding.com