late afternoon on Antelope Island

Crossing the lonely causeway at 3:40 pm yesterday I finally saw a flotilla of apparent Goldeneyes quite close to the island on the north side of the causeway. The scope revealed they were indeed Goldeneyes (only 1 of 26 was an adult male!?). But, to my surprise and delight, passing by the group were a pair of Long-tailed Ducks, male and female in winter plumage. I actually practiced looking at the birds and describing them outloud into a tape recorder before checking the book. Thank you, Kristin. It was very rewarding to notice the differences between them. I watched them until they disappeared into the bright reflection of sunlight.

The island's north end in late afternoon light was peaceful and beautiful. The meadowlarks were in full song, the chukars were basking in the sunlight, rock wrens alternately fed and sang on opposite sides of the parking lot (actually there were 3 wrens). Scoping Egg Island revealed hundreds of California Gulls plus cormorants flaunting their double-crests (could make out 9 of them) and GBH's (10) settling in for the evening. I headed home happy as dusk descended. Certainly reccommend birding the island at the end of the day! (and isn't it wonderful that the days are getting longer!)
Deedee