Re: SANDERLING and other Migrants

Hi all,

I went out for a walk last night after dinner in search of my mystery
sparrow.  When I got to the area across from the Hyrum dam, along the barbed
wire fence on the west side of the street, I saw some movent in the sage
brush.

I moved closer, and sure enough, it was a sparrow.  I managed to get a good
look at him.  He had a slight eyering and a yellowish bill.  His cap was red
and there was a red line through his eye and a red spot near the back of his
head.  The red alternated with gray stripes.  His back wasn't a solid color,
but was reddish yellow and black.  He looked like the photo on page 343 of
the Kaufman guide, and the drawings on page 281 of the Peterson Eastern
Guide and page 414 of the Sibley Western field guide.  Based on all this, I
would have to say that my mystery sparrow was an AMERICAN TREE SPARROW.

As they say, a bad day of birding is much better than a good day of work, at
least in this state.  But that's for another list, I guess.

As an aside, I'm leaving on Friday to drive to San Diego and I will be there
all next week.  Does anyone know of any good places on the way (I'm taking I
15 all the way) that aren't too far off of the highway to bird?  This isn't
going to be a pleasure trip, as I am attending the American Chemical Society
meeting in San Diego, so I won't have hours to waste getting to a far off
birding hot spot, though I am hoping to try and hit the Salton Sea )I'm also
hoping to see a California Condor, but that's another story).  I'd
appreciate any suggestions.

Good birding,
Richard