Ogden Valley Birding

I birded Jefferson Hunt and Anderson Cove Campgrounds in Ogden Valley, Weber County, over the past couple days.  Highlights of the trips included EVENING GROSBEAKS, VIRGINIA RAILS, and a MUSKRAT...oops, I mean Muskrat, in Jefferson Hunt and RED CROSSBILLS today at Anderson Cove.

The Evening Grosbeak sighting is probably not a surprise to birders familiar with this area.  Grosbeaks have been frequenting Huntsville feeders all winter.  However, they were a BIG surprise to me because I forgot about the reports I've heard since October.  The grosbeaks perched in the treetops along the Winter Grove Nature Trail that runs north-south through the campground.  In particular, they were about 1/2 mile north of the trailhead in trees along a cattail marsh, and close to a residential neighborhood.  Both males and females were present.  They frequently issued their single-note "teewp" call, which is what attracted my attention to the treetops in the first place.

I also heard three separate Virginia Rails sounding off with their grating cranks in the marsh on the east side of the nature trail.  I hoped to coax the rails out by imitating their call, but I'm afraid my rail impression came out sounding more like an oinking pig.  I must have sounded like Herbie the Dentist in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer when Herbie tried to lure The Abominable out of his snow cave.  The rails did not respond so I can safely assume they're not attracted by either spurious porcine noises or puppet dentists.

On the way back to the parking lot I crossed the bridge over one of the South Forks of the Ogden River.  A muskrat was swimming in the very clear water, 2-3 feet below the surface and with the current.  It disappeared under the bridge and I ran to the other side of the road to see it again.  The muskrat swam to an undulating clump of bright green and curly-leafed plants among the waving brown grass, snipped off a sprig, swirled around, and headed back downstream with the leafy sprig sticking out the side of its mouth.  It was like a flammenco dancer holding a rose in its teeth.  The muskrat never surfaced.  It was an interesting perspective and one I haven't had before.

Other birds at Jefferson Hunt included Common Mergansers and Goldeneyes at the mouth of the river, Bald Eagles, a Belted Kingfisher, Downy Woodpeckers, several drumming Northern Flickers, Black-capped Chickadees, a Brown Creeper, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Song Sparrows singing lustily, White-crowned Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos, Red-winged Blackbirds, House Finches, Pine Siskins, and American Goldfinches.

Today's trip to Anderson Cove yielded small numbers of Red Crossbills frequently and throughout the day.  The crossbills seemed to prefer the many Austrian Pines and spruce trees throughout the campground.  At one point I approached an Austrian Pine that sounded like a bowl of Rice Crispies cereal--you know, "Snap! Crackle! Pop!"?  My first clue that the noise was produced by birds was when a female Red-breasted Nuthatch floated down from a low branch to hop around several fallen pine cones.  Further investigation of the noises revealed two greenish-yellow female crossbills, two bright red males, and one orangy-yellow young male twisting the cone scales to access the seeds ensconced within.  Sometimes the crossbills talked to each other with low, warbled "kip-kip-kip" notes; most of the time they simply saw to their foraging.  They caused the papery seed wings to float down to the ground, spinning all the way.  I was downwind and caught two of the paper wings that the crossbills discarded.  The plump round seeds had been precisely cut out of the wings, leaving a round empty place at the narrow end of the seed.

Other birds at Anderson Cove included many of those I saw at Jefferson Hunt, a couple Townsend's Solitaires flirting and warbling to each other, and an it's-about-time, first-of-the-year, what-took-me-so-long-to-find-one,.Great Horned Owl.

A quick check of the open water at The North Arm produced a Red-breasted Merganser (Yee-haw!  A sign of spring!) among a flock of Commons, Canada Geese, a Ring-necked Duck, Mallards, and Northern Pintails.

A highlight not in either campground was a flock of 60 Wild Turkeys east of and below Trapper's Loop in the Hawkin's Creek drainage.  Several toms displayed, several toms did aerobics by chasing others in great bounding strides, and the hens ignored them all.  The spot is approximately .7 miles south of the Trapper's/SR-39 junction.

Jefferson Hunt and Anderson Cove Campgrounds are located on SR-39 along the south shore of Pineview Reservoir.

Kris