Utah county sandhill cranes

While sorting through cedar waxwings at Genola Warm Springs this
morning, I heard at least two different sandhill cranes calling
somewhere out in the area. A few minutes later, as I was driving through
Goshen, pondering the likelihood that sandhills would be around this
time of year, two flew across the road in front of me. A few minutes
later I saw two more, and a few minutes after that I saw a lone
individual. On my way home, as I drove past Benjamin slough, I saw yet
another pair of sandhill cranes. I do not know if these are early
arrivals or if they are part of the group that Jay and Bryan Shirley saw
during the recent Christmas bird count and that may have over-wintered
in our balmy locale. I don't think this species usually shows up until
late March or early April.

Lu Giddings