Snow Goose Festival and Sage Sparrow

We went to the Snow Goose Festival this weekend and were disappointed to
find that Tracy Aviary was a no-show.  Funding was the rumor. Other than
that, the rest of the weekend was very nice. Thanks to all the people who
put their time into the Snow Goose Festival.  Much appreciated by all.  The
Snow Geese put on a spectacular show, as usual, and were probably relieved
to find water to land on this year instead of ice. Some of our bird
sightings, mostly on Saturday, were as follows:

Genola (& ponds included): PHEASANTS, CEDAR WAXWINGS AND PINTAIL.
Elberta: CEDAR WAXWINGS and BALD EAGLE.
Mile Marker 145: Crows, magpies, western scrub jays, goldfinch and coyote.
Mile Marker 132: BALD EAGLE, JUNCOS, JUNIPER TITMOUSE (many)
Mile Marker 96: GOLDEN EAGLE and then a little further down the road and in
the sky, a GREAT BLUE HERON
Gunnison Bed Reservoir: COMMON MERGANSER, REDHEAD, and GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES
(Sunday).
Clear Lake: LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE, AM. WIGEON, REDHEAD, HARRIERS, RED-TAILED
HAWK, PINTAIL, BUFFLEHEAD, COOT, SHOVELER, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, RUDDY DUCK,
possible SCAUP or RING-NECKED DUCK (I forgot my scope). I'm sure there are
other species out there because the ponds had plenty of waterfowl too far
out for the binocular-holders to identify. The best sighting of the day was
a singing SAGE SPARROW (life bird for both of us) and many singing HORNED
LARKS. There were also lots of lizards and rodents.  And on the way back to
Delta was another beautiful GOLDEN EAGLE.
Oak City (canyon): WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH, SOLITAIRE and our first
butterfly of the year.
Leamington: PRAIRIE FALCON
Fifty-two species for the trip.

Carol