On Careful Observation

I've discovered that I'm not yet finished with the discussion from the Arizona birdnet regarding careful observation.  If you've read enough about the topic already and wish to move on to something new--delete now!  This might be dull.

I have to defend the Arizona birders who misidentified the Louisiana Waterthrush as a Northern.  Those of us on Utah's birdtalk had the advantages of seeing Richard Fray's excellent commentary and viewing his hard-won photographs.  When I first reviewed the photos, I thought, "Duh--of course it's a Louisiana!"  But my viewpoint really wasn't fair.  I didn't have to contend with field conditions to get a good look at this bird.  If you've seen either species of waterthrush, then you know that both frequent boggy and darkly-lit seeps.  If they don't call, it's easy to miss them entirely.  Waterthrushes don't come right out into the open, pirouette in good light, or hold still at the exact angle so that a photographer can snap pictures of the discriminating field marks.  Richard's narrative and photos are a testament to how hard he worked to gather data on this bird so we could easily validate his conclusion from our warm, dry, well-lit offices.

http://richardfray.topcities.com/waterthrush.htm

Frankly, I've never seen a waterthrush out in the open or in good light.  The last time I saw a Northern Waterthrush was in August.  The bird was skulking along a dim and swampy stream in Willard Bay State Park, and I was lying prone on the embankment to minimize my profile.  The bird dipped and bobbed and skuttled through the mud and under logs, and I was lucky to get a view of it at all.  I had to move to different openings along the embankment to get several views as the bird worked its way up and down the stream.  I wouldn't have even looked for a waterthrush if I hadn't already known the stream was a place they favored.  In addition, the bird vocalized loudly while flying low down the stream as I arrived.  That's what signaled me to be very quiet, get down along the stream bed--and wait.

The Arizona birders that misidentified Richard's waterthrush had their hands full.  After all, Louisianas and Northerns look virtually identical and both try to stay hidden in dark, uninviting, swampy places.  If identifying waterthrushes was so darn easy, Kenn Kaufman wouldn't have devoted a chapter to the subject in his Peterson Field Guide, Advanced Birding.  If identifying birds was so darn easy, we wouldn't spend a ton on field guides and optics every year.  I'm one with those Arizona birders--because I have misidentified birds in the past, and I'll do it again in the future.  Those last two thoughts are the only truths I know about bird identification.  Why do I study?  Why do we all study?--To reduce future incidences of mistaken identity.

I conclude by retracting my first thought, "Duh--of course it's a Louisiana!", and replace it with the wish that we will all be as careful observers in 2005 as Richard Fray demonstrated with his Louisiana Waterthrush sighting on Friday.  Good birding to you!

Kris

 \\\
 ( *<
 / ) )