Initiative 1 and Hunting Birds or Other Animals

I am going to add my two cents to this discussion regarding Initiative 1 and hunting. This is in response to Mr. Avery's comments, and in support of Mr. Wood's response to Mr. Avery.

First off, the response from Mr. Avery to Mr. Wood is obviously one of anger, and done so quickly, as evidenced by the numerous spelling errors and general sloppiness, that it appears to be from rage, not from sound reasoning. It is also threatening. He will do it 'till his "hands bleed," pounding his chest that he is a presence to be dealt with. Mr. Avery's comments are just the sort of response I would expect from a hunter who feels threatened. It is a "how dare you question me" sort of diatribe. I had begun to sense that Mr. Avery was a respectable member of the birding community. However, the response I have witnessed, that is part of this e-mail below, makes me question that, and makes me think otherwise of Mr. Avery.

I will say that yes hunters do pay good sums of money to engage in their sport. As a personal value, I do not find hunting any animal with the purpose of killing it to be good sport. Hunting to view and take pictures is something I can revel in. I disagree with Mr. Avery's claim that birdwatching is the same thing as hunting, it is not. Further, hunting may be just an excuse to get away from the city. If so, why not leave the rifle at home and just be man, or woman, enough to admit that is what you really want to do. If one is so insecure as to need the excuse of taking a gun just to not look somehow weak, then that is a personal problem best dealt with by good inner-reflection and perhaps professional therapeutic counseling. Try joining a mens, or womens, group and find that there are other like minded people, who are strong without the machismo need to have a gun. The gun becomes just a crutch. Maybe, it is the hunters who care so little that they refuse or otherwise won't acknowledge as much. Did it ever occur to Mr. Avery that at least some of use make a choice to not hunt with a gun, we don't want to. I for one have no problem admitting that I do not like hunting with the thought of killing something. I find that very distasteful. I do however, revel in the thought of viewing wild birds, no matter if it is in an urban setting or in the great wilds of Utah. I too enjoy getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life. And I do not need a gun to do that.

Mr. Avery can disagree as much as he likes. Hey, he can even send me a threatening e-mail if it suites his fancy. That would however further erode my opinion of him and his thoughts on hunting. As long as what is hunted is consumed or otherwise put to good use I don't have a problem with hunting per se. Leaving a carcase to rot is sinful in my view. Further, I strongly question and disagree with the mentality that humans are masters of the Earth and have dominion over all other animals. No, to the contrary, all animals have a right to life and are worthy in and of themselves. Their worth is not determinable in terms of value to humans. All animals, including humans, have value in and of themselves. In closing, I will say that while I have made the choice to not hunt with a gun, I am not anti-hunting as far as other people making the choice to hunt.

Sincerely, and Respectfully,

Matthew Wallace.

Richard Wood wrote:

These are the kind of people that are out there in the world.

I hate to do this, but Mr. Avery has given me little choice of how else to handle it.

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Avery" <tanager@timaverybirding.com>