Mystery Owl

Hi,

Unlike Tim Avery, I don't know the answer to this bird ID question. The owl appeared to have no eyes in the back of his head, which seems to rule out a Northern Pygmy Owl. It also didn't seem to have any ear tufts. We saw it tonight up Millcreek on the Bowman Fork Trail around 7:30pm. I was lucky to snap off a couple of blurry pictures before a group stormed up the trail and sent the bird flying. It's about 6-8" in size, pretty grayish looking, round wing spots, yellow eyes, no ear tufts, as the photos show. It also tended to stick its tail up, almost wrenlike.

Any ideas?

http://bailey.aros.net/nature/Mystery%20Owl.htm

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Holladay, UT 84117
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold