From: Jim Bailey
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 9:21 PM
Subject: [BirdTalk] Mystery Owl

Hi,

Unlike Tim Avery, I don't know the answer to this bird ID question. The owl appeared to have no eyes in the back of his head, which seems to rule out a Northern Pygmy Owl. It also didn't seem to have any ear tufts. We saw it tonight up Millcreek on the Bowman Fork Trail around 7:30pm. I was lucky to snap off a couple of blurry pictures before a group stormed up the trail and sent the bird flying. It's about 6-8" in size, pretty grayish looking, round wing spots, yellow eyes, no ear tufts, as the photos show. It also tended to stick its tail up, almost wrenlike.

Any ideas?

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Holladay, UT 84117
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold