Beginning Birder Aids

Hi,

Dennis Shirley taught a beginning/intermediate birding class a few years back (maybe he still does). In this class, he had lots of great handouts. On the Ptarmigan hunt last Saturday, he gratiously gave me permission to use these materials to develop some Web-oriented birder help pages, which I've started adding to my site.

Admittedly, for you birding veterans, this stuff is pretty basic. However, I think there's good info to be gleaned by many of us less-advanced local birders. Most of the information is geared toward Utah County, but much would apply throughout the state.

I only have a few pages done so far, but hope to keep adding stuff. If anyone has anything they want to contribute, please get in touch with me. Dennis also mentioned that he had some decision tree stuff on gull identification. I hope to get that from him and add it to the site. For me, gulls and shorebirds can be really tough.

Here's the link:

http://bailey.aros.net/nature/Birding%20Aids.htm

If you see typos, data errors, or have suggestions for improvement, please let me know privately.

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Holladay, UT 84117
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold