Chat in Parley's Nature Park in SLC

A Yellow-breasted Chat has taken up residence in Parley's Nature and
Historic Park. Yesterday around 10:50a.m. he was vocalizing loudly. Got good
looks at him 3 times as he came up to quite visible perchs for brief
performances before diving into the willow again. Could hear him most of the
time we continued our walk on the west side of the park near the creek.

Location: walk down the "road" from Tanner's Park into Parley's; cross
bridge; turn right onto path that takes you south but closer to the creek
than the road that continues a little more to the east. The chat seemed to
be claiming territory in two adjacent patches of willows at the beginning of
this path. It's easier to see him if you walk down the path 50 yds or so and
look back.

Directions to Tanner Park/Parley's Nature Park:
Exit I-215 on east side at 33rd South; drive west to stoplight at 2700 East;
turn north; 2700 East deadends at these parks.
OR
exit I-80 East at 2300 East; turn east on Heritage Dr and follow it to
Tanner parking lots at 2700 East

Thank you, Keith Evans and Kristin Purdy for the field trip during the Bird
Festival to the North Arm of Pineview Reservoir where I first had a good
look at a most cooperative Chat and learned to recognize his variable song
that projects so well.
Deedee O'Brien