More St. George Birding

I apologize for the late report. E-mail was down on Monday, no time yesterday. This report was from June 21 at Tonaquint Nature Park.

Another splendid place to bird. If it wasn't for the hot weather, I may want to move down to St. George. I only had 45 minutes to bird (family did not want to stop at all). When I first arrived, about 9:30 AM, at the beginning of the walkway going to the Visitor's center, at the sign indicating it is a nature park, about 75 yards to the right (north?) as you look at the sign in some dead trees, about 3/4 the way up the tree was a first year Green Heron. The lighting was coming from the wrong direction, and as I attempted to reposition myself for photos, it flew away, not to be seen again. It looked to be a first summer bird. Nice surprise. At the pond/visitor's center there was an abundance of Black Phoebes. Great to see them again. Taking the trail (dirt) which looped back towards the parking lot I saw two male Blue Grosbeaks and one female. One female Gamble's Quail was fairly accommodating to stay still whilst I traced from where she was making her quail sounds. Great-tailed Grackles were there, as were Black-chinned Hummingbirds (saw two males). Thanks again to Leena for the directions.

Brian