Still Singin' After all These Days

The Red-eyed Vireo is still singing loudly on the Weber River Trail (a.k.a. Riverdale Parkway) in Riverdale.  I heard and saw it this morning around 9:00 at the north end of the first bridge.  Earlier, it was not accessible but singing across the river between the first and second bridge.  On June 11, I heard it at the second bridge.  Looks like this vireo is calling Riverdale 'home' for the summer.

This morning I also heard a Gray Catbird on the east side of the trail, south of the first bridge, and across from a long, narrow pond between the trail and backyards to the west.

The trail is alive with recent fledglings and parents working hard to fill them up.  I saw two families of Downy Woodpeckers, three families of Black-capped Chickadees, a family of Bullock's Orioles, a family of Yellow Warblers, and a family of Warbling Vireos.

Other bird species are pretty active too, including Double-crested Cormorants, Mallards, Belted Kingfishers, Western Wood-pewees, Black-chinned Hummingbirds, Black-headed Grosbeaks, American Goldfinches, Ring-necked Pheasants, Song Sparrows, audible young Northern Flickers in a cavity with Mom perched on the top of the snag, American Robins, House Finches, House Wrens, Lazuli Buntings and Mourning Doves.

I was happy to see that the city of Riverdale is installing interpretive signs that describe wetlands and discuss the importance of healthy river habitats.

For directions and information on this birding location, launch the link below, select "W" from the alphabetical index, and call up the Weber River Trail.

Kris

http://www.utahbirds.org/counties/SiteIndex.htm