St. George birding

Many thanks to those (particularly Lee Jones and Leena Rogers) who took the time to respond to my request for places to bird in the St. George area. Two birds that I had not seen in the longest of times, the Vermillion Flycatcher and Summer Tanager, were the ones I decided to go after.

My first stop was the Red Hills Golf Course. My, what a wonderful golf course to bird. I was there at about 1:00 PM, and there were few golfers there. I could have easily birder the whole day there. I don't have my notebook with me, but among the more interesting things I saw there were male and female Vermillion Flycatcher, Warbling Vireo feeding a juvenile BH Cowbird (that is so interesting to see, this large Cowbird being fed by what almost looks to be its young), Ladder-backed Woodpecker, many (many) Say's Phoebes, Bewick's Wren, a number of adult and juvenile No. Flickers (all red-shafted, I checked), and you all certainly have your quota of VG Swallows. All these sightings were between the second and third tees (the only place I birded). I know I saw a couple of others, but my memory is not kicking in.

From there I went to Mathis Park. Just before one gets to the Maverick gas
station, before one gets to the final turn-off for the park, a Mockingbird flew right in front of my car. Quite accomodating really. At the park, the only bird I was looking for was the Summer Tanager. I looked on my own, heard it calling, but could not locate it visually. So I got out the ol' Stokes recording and within maybe 10 seconds (maybe less) it came in for me at the covered picnic benches.

Well worth the little effort I spent.

I am writing this from Las Vegas. On the way back, if not too tired tomorrow, I will stop at Tonaquint Park. As I read Leena's message right now, I probably will.

Brian