Calliope Hummingbird

Hello all,

I decided to list this only as a matter of record due to Bill Fenimore's recent post. I was at the North Arm of Pineview on May 21 to observe the male Calliope. I saw him per Kris' great directions (and survey tape). Shortly after I arrived there was a small thunderstorm that came through. I was there at about 10:00 AM. After the thunderstorm I left my car to go back to the same spot. The male calliope was busy being just as pretty as could be. All of a sudden he shot straight up in the air to another hummer. At first, I thought it was another male. Then he got really excited. He did his whole display for me, zooming within 1-2 feet of me (has any one ever clocked those things?). The other hummer landed within 10 feet of me, and I could clearly see that it was the female Calliope. He came in and really sounded like about 100 bumble bees. Though I knew it was coming from him, frankly I did look around to make sure I wasn't standing by a bumble bee nest. The rest of the story is X-rated. : ) She left soon thereafter, not to be seen by me again.

Brian