Weekend birding

A few highlights of our weekend birding:
Friday morning we saw Phalaropes (both species), BB and Snowy Plovers
along the AIC.  Since the ranch was closed for spraying, we made a quick
trip to Willard Bay State Park campground, which produced a Northern
Waterthrush.  Heading south, on Friday afternoon we saw the Band-tailed
Pigeons at Spanish Fork and the immature Brown Pelican at Newcastle
Reservoir.  Friday evening we got nice looks at the female Bronzed
Cowbird and a pair of Hooded Orioles at Dixie Red Hills Golf Course in
St. George, followed by Lesser Nighthawks at dusk in Santa Clara.
Saturday morning we returned to the DRH golf course to see the pair of
Vermillion Flycatchers.  A trip to Gunlock Reservoir produced a Green
Heron (thanks Dana!), and Summer Tanager (both north along the river) and
a Peregrine Falcon.  We found the Inca Doves at Brentwood (west of
Hurricane).  A singing Gray Vireo greeted us in Oak Creek Canyon.
Saturday evening (and again Sunday afternoon) we saw a male Costa's
Hummingbird sitting on the "Eagle Rock Dr/Prescott Ln" street sign, which
is just north of the main entrance inside the Eagle Rock housing estate,
located about 1/2 mile south of the south entrance to Snow Canyon State
Park.  The highlight Sunday morning at Lytle Ranch was Brown-crested
Flycatcher.  The most unexpected sighting was of a single Pinyon Jay
perched atop a Joshua Tree, about 2 miles east of the ranch, along the
road back to the highway.  Cactus Wren, Scott's Oriole, Black-chinned
Sparrow were seen on the way to Utah Hill.  Finally, a quick stop at
Salem Pond on the way home gave us a look at a male Common Grackle.  All
in all, a great birding weekend, with 2 Utah lifers.
Joel and Kathy Beyer