Bobolinks and Wasatch County

On Sunday we entered the Heber Valley fields via the tavern road. Right away
in the fields by the first large row of trees we found bobolinks.  In fact,
we found them in quite a few of the fields.  Wilson's phalaropes were
swimming in the flooded fields and snipe winnowed from numerous fence
posts.

Below Jordanelle at the Provo River Restoration Project were lots of sora,
cedar waxwing, orioles, a pair of blue-winged teal, warbling vireos, and a
western tanager.  We found dippers and sora at the BOR below the dam but no
waterthrush or redstarts.

At Rock Cliff Nature Center there was one spotted sandpiper, osprey, downy
woodpeckers, red-tailed hawks and lots of yellow warblers chasing each
other around.

In Charleston we watched an osprey devour a fish on a telephone pole and
laughed as a magpie begged and pleaded for some scraps.  A nice but windy
day for birding.