Calliope Hummer

The smallest bird in North America visited my hummingbird feeder in Ogden at about 6:00 this evening.  A male Calliope Hummingbird buzzed over the deck and sat in a tree in bright western sunlight about 15 feet from where I was peeling corn.  Boy, did I stop peeling corn fast.  After seriously checking me out, the hummingbird buzzed around to the back of the tree.  I snuck into the house to encourage him to come back and he did.  I watched him from the other side of the kitchen window with binoculars at a distance of about 6 feet.  He slurped up nectar for a little while, buzzed away, and visited again just before 7:00.  Then I had to go back to peeling corn.

Bummer, bummer, bummer--I'd rather watch a hummer.

Kris