The Shorebird Search Continues...

Bill Fenimore, Brian Currie and I embarked on a Red Knot search along Antelope Island Causeway this afternoon.  We were not rewarded for our diligence with Red Knots.  However, we were rewarded with warm sunshine, a cool breeze, and other shorebirds of the expected varieties for this time of year.

The difference in the number of peeps in just an hour or two was staggering.  On the way out we found a total of 8 peeps--all Western Sandpipers--along both sides of the entire 7 miles of road.  By the time we turned back hundreds of Sanderlings, Western Sandpipers, and 3 Dunlins occupied the spit that stretches north toward Fremont Island between mm 1 and 2.  We continued to see Sanderlings and Western Sandpipers along the north shore for several miles on our return to the east.

We saw several Long-billed Dowitchers along the Causeway and more dowitchers along the island shore southeast of the Visitor's Center, Willets throughout, two Long-billed Curlews flying southeast of the Visitor's Center, American Avocets, Killdeer, and Black-necked Stilts.  We found 8 Black-bellied Plovers about 400 yards off the Causeway southeast of the "No Swimming" bridge between mm 5 and 4.  Yes, they were really far and realistically, too far to determine if any plover species other than Black-bellied was present.  At the same distance, we also saw a flock of 30-40 large brown-buffy shorebirds that were likely Marbled Godwits.  Hope that the lake level rises to bring the water line closer to the Causeway in the area the Black-bellied Plovers seem to prefer.

Our waterfowl and water bird sightings included Eared Grebes, a pair of Blue-winged Teal sleeping on the shore on the north side at around mm 3, Mallards, Gadwall, Canada Geese, California Gulls, Double-crested Cormorants, Great Blue Herons, White-faced Ibis and American White Pelicans.

Drier-habitat sightings included Jack Binch, a Horned Lark, American Kestrels, Brewer's, Red-winged, and Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds, Western Meadowlarks, Barn Swallows, Western Kingbirds, and a Loggerhead Shrike.  We also heard a Chukar and a Rock Wren east the Visitor's Center.

When you visit, be prepared for the flies.  They billowed along the Causeway in black clouds, black waves, black strands, and black formations.  Expect to snort 'em, eat 'em, breathe 'em, smash 'em, dash 'em, and mash 'em.

Kris