tagged bald eagle

Hello,

I work for the Institute for Wildlife Studies (IWS) on the Channel
Islands off the coast of southern California.  Bald eagles were once
found on all eight of the Channel Islands off the coast of southern
California, but disappeared by the 1960s because DDT pollution caused
them to lay thin-shelled eggs that broke in the nest.  In 2002, IWS
began reintroducing young bald eagles to Santa Cruz Island to determine
whether bald eagles could be successfully reestablished on the northern
Channel Islands.

The young bald eagles are being released on the island each summer and
are being monitored to find out what they eat and where they go.  Each
released bird has blue colored markers on its wings (about 3 x 3 inches)
with a unique number printed in black on the marker.  Each released bird
also carries a GPS transmitter.

One of the young eagles (wing marker 07) we released in 2002 has flown
as far away as southwestern Montana.  He spent the past two winters in
central Utah.  He has spent the last few months along the Sevier River.
I am not familiar with the area and am wondering if anyone can answer a
few questions for me.  Is it good bald eagle habitat?  Are there other
bald eagles using this area for over-wintering?  Has anyone seen or
heard reports of a young bald eagle with blue wing markers in the area?

For more information on the bald eagle project and to see a map of 07's
movements please visit the Institute for Wildlife Studies website:
www.iws.org.

Thanks,

Jessica Dooley
Institute for Wildlife Studies