A Silly Sight (or, A Silly Site)

This afternoon I checked the two Great Blue Heron rookeries on both branches of the South Fork of the Ogden River in Ogden Valley.  The trees lining both branches of the river are mature, very woody, and offer great habitat for big birds that build big nests.

Many herons have claimed nesting sites.  A few of the bird-condominiums could still post 'Vacancy' signs.  From my vantage point, it looked like one dead tree in particular sported five nests at a height of 60-70 feet.  Two of the five nests were vacant.  Two were occupied by Great Blue Herons.  And the final one was occupied by...no, not a Red-tailed or Swainson's Hawk...no, not a Double-crested Cormorant...and no, not a Great Horned Owl.  The big bird comfortably settled on the nest was a Canada Goose, sitting beak-to-beak with the herons up in the penthouse apartments.  I was unprepared for the sight and it took a minute for the long black neck and white cheek patch to register.  Of course, it was not just any old Canada Goose, it was obviously a silly goose!

The goose's choice of nest sites is a far cry from a grassy hillock at water's edge or a nesting platform outfitted with a hay bale.  And just think of the hazards those precocial, newly-hatched goslings will have to negotiate!  They could become breakfast in the sword mandibles of their neighbors.  If that hazard doesn't get 'em, think of their first 60-foot step out into the wide, wide world.  It's a good thing our kids don't have to take such a big leap when they're ready to leave the nest!

I reviewed the Canada Goose species account in Kaufman's Lives of North American Birds to see if this particular nest site selection was described.  "...always nests near water."  Well, the water IS only 60-70 feet away.  "Nest: Site (probably chosen by female) is usually on slightly elevated dry ground near water, with good visibility."  Yes, the site IS elevated, dry, and it certainly has good visibility!  "Much variation; may nest on cliff ledges, on muskrat houses, in trees, on artificial platforms."  There we go...in trees!  And finally, from Kaufman, a hint that the gander of this pair is going to have to become a passerine, or perching bird: "Incubation is by female, 25-28 days; male stands guard nearby."

Kris