Carbon and Emery Counties

     Eric Huish and I ran out to do some birding on
Monday. We left at 5:45 to go see the Greater Sage
Grouse in Carbon County on Emma Park Road. They were
close to the road and was a beautiful sight. We
counted 20 birds. They were just past the Carbon
county/Utah county line.
     Next we went to Desert WMA in Emery County near
the town of Elmo. As we came to our first stop we were
greeted with a beautiful Peregrine Falcon that just
sat there and let us get wonderful looks at him. There
were also several species of ducks there including
Canvasbacks, Red-breasted Merganser and beautiful
breeding Ruddy Ducks. Also Avocets and Stilts and Ibis
added a beautiful color to the lake. Also a good
looking Sage Thrasher was feeding on the ground along
the road. Also we saw Bonapartes and Franklins Gulls
at the lake.
    We then went to Huntington Resivoir which was
packed with Common Loons. I got the most amazing look
at a Common Loon from about 10 yards. It was the bird
of the day for me. You could see every small detail.
Also my first Brewer's Sparrow for the year was seen
there. Every color on it. Such a beautiful bird.
    We then proceeded to do some Carbon County
birding. We stopped in areas around Helper and saw
some birds. But most of our birding was spent up at
Scofield Resivoir. Scofield is ice free now. There was
a large variety of ducks. Also plenty of Bonaparte
Gulls and Franklins Gulls. There was Sandhill Cranes
as well. There was Greater Yellowlegs on the shore. We
saw over 30 species at the Resivoir. It was just a
splendid day of birding. Can't we to get back.

KC Childs

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html