the snow geese are still in Corinne, Salt Creek WMA

Several thousand snow geese were observed in Corinne on two occasions
yesterday. I saw them flying in the Corinne area as I drove toward Bear
River MBR at around 10:30 a.m., about 1-1.5 miles northeast of the Bear
River gun club. And I saw them on the ground in the field immediately
north of the home at 780 N. 6800 W. in Corinne at 3:30 p.m. yesterday.
There was at least one dark-phase goose in the group. I had just started
to check the flock for Ross's geese when they spooked and flew about 400
yards to the west and the safety of the mud flats.

There was a large dead bird in a field west of 6800 W. at about 1200 N.
- or else it was extremely relaxed. It may have been a sandhill crane,
given the size and coloration, although I honestly could not see enough
of the bird to tell.

Paid my first visit to Salt Creek Waterfowl Management Area yesterday
afternoon and was pleasantly surprised to find a very nice area and many
birds. There is a viewing area on a hill top that looks out over the
ponds and marshes, so one can see much of the area and the birds with
just a few glances. The species observed were similar to those seen at
Bear River MBR, although there were not nearly as many total birds. By
way of comparison, I observed 41 species at Bear River in 3-4 hours, and
31 species at Salt Creek in a little over an hour. There are several
ways to reach Salt Creek. I traveled west out of Corinne for several
miles, and then turned north on a well marked, graded gravel road for
about 4 miles to reach the hilltop viewing area.

Lu Giddings