W.T. and B.T. Sparrows

On Thursday Nicky and I headed to Southern Utah even though the weathermen
yacked about the rain coming in.  We made a few stops on the way down
including the Springville Exit to see the horned grebe.

Near Mona and Burriston ponds we saw Swainson's hawks, great-blue herons,
and cedar waxwings.

Along the old highway at Yuba we saw ring-necked ducks, ruddys, shovelers,
scaups, redheads, avocets, bufflehead and gadwalls.

The best part of the day was in Kolob where we saw a group of bushtits,
ruby-crowned kinglets, and titmice traveling together.  There we also scrub
jays and towhees.

On Friday in St. George it rained all day and we birded all day. There was a
mockingbird right outside our motel room and great-tailed grackles all
around town. At Tonaquint we saw white-crowned sparrows, black phoebes, a
kingfisher, Abert's towhees, and 2 great finds: a white-throated sparrow
and a Lucy's warbler.

Not much at Mathis?a western kingbird and a killdeer. At Sand Hollow were
about 16 loons?out in the middle?we're assuming they were common. Sand
Hollow must be one of the most beautiful reservoirs on the planet,
especially in the rain. The rocks were brilliant red.

Topping off the day we stopped in Snow Canyon and saw Gambel's quail, rock
wren, possible house wren, and a few black-throated sparrows.  Six life
birds for Nicky and two for me.  We're not home yet so we're expecting more
surprises. We still haven't seen a roadrunner.

Carol