Hennefer

Hi,

I went up to see the G. S. Grouse this morning. There was about 40 at the lek, and they put on a good show. Best of the morning was two apparent equal males that ran at each other, but when neither turned and ran, they did not seem to know what to do. I think I heard them say oops. After a couple of seconds of face to face, they both turned and walked away. I was alone this morning, but I will bet there will be some people there tomorrow. From my observation this morning, the best time to arrive would be about 5:45 with 5:30 not being too early. I got there at six and the lek was full. The majority of the group left at 6:25 with the few remaining leaving in the next ten minutes. The whole group squatted down and shut up about five minutes before they left. There may have been a hawk or eagle in the area but I did not see it. It is about an hour drive through Echo Junction from SLC.

There were 36 Turkey Vultures in the trees around the Hennefer sewer ponds. I have never seen that many at once. Also at the ponds were the previously mentioned Great Blue Herons on nests and five Sandhill Cranes plus ducks and coots.

Antelope Island Causeway had a small flock of Sanderlings, along with the Eared Grebes and Cal. Gulls

Jack Binch