Birding Benson

Monday was a fantastic day for birding the Benson area in Cache Valley.
Before I headed out to Benson, I stopped at the 200 N pond, which is just North of the Logan City dump to watch a pair of Double Crested Cormorants. On Sunday I saw 3 Common Mergansers there. The fields to the north of the pond is filled with Canada Geese, Sandhill Cranes and Gulls.
The new Logan City sewage treatment facility along Benson road is a gold mine!
The Yellow Headed Blackbirds were out in full force, both in plumage and voice.
American Coots were numerous, chasing each other through the cattails.
I also saw Northern Pintails, Mallards, Cinnamon Teal, Gadwall, Killdeer, Red winged Blackbird, American Avocet, Black Necked Stilt, Lesser Scaup, Sandhill Cranes, Canada Goose and Buffleheads.
I then drove out to Benson Marina and was excited to see 5 Long Billed Curlews in a field just east of the marina. They were feeding off of the seed in the field and chasing each other around. Beautiful, large birds with that extremely long, curved bill. Sandhill Cranes were very numerous doing their wild thing dance for each other. Canada geese all over the place.
I parked on the west side and took the path around the marina, which I would recommend to anyone that has never been there.
Killdeer were abundant, I saw Song Sparrows, American RobinsAmerican White Pelicans kept flying overhead, looking like huge, exotic passenger planes. They looked big enough for me to jump on their backs and take a ride. Along the path, on the southside of the marina, I could hear a chorus of Marsh Wrens with brief glimpses of them popping up from the reeds.
I also saw Redheads, Northern Harriers, Clarks Grebe, Pied Billed Grebe and a Western Grebe that swam right underneath me at the footbridge. That is the closest I have ever been to a Grebe of any sort.
The Harriers were putting on a dazzling aerial show, gliding over the marsh and then hovering, before swooping down to catch their dinner.
The sounds of all the birds together was a raucous symphony of LOVE!
On my way back up the trail, as the sun was setting in the west, I scared up a Black Crowned Night Heron that flew 100 yards in front of me and landed again on the shore. I didn't get within 50 yards before he(she), took off, circling around and flying towards me, where I was able to get some great looks at this secretive bird.

What a great way to cap off a fabulous day of birding.

Spring has Sprung!!!

Stephen Peterson

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar ? FREE! _______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________