Millard & Tooele Counties

March 12, 2004

My wife and I birded Millard and Tooele Counties today with the goals of
seeing the Snow Geese and fulfilling the Utah County Challenge of 29 birds
in 20 counties.  We fulfilled the goals.

Millard County - the Snow Geese faithfully arrived shortly after 10:00 am at
the Gunnison Bend Reservoir.  The geese stayed on the far side of the
reservoir, and a spotting scope is needed for good views. A nearby reservoir
(may be a part of the Gunnison Bend Reservoir) on the north end of Robin
Hood street--northwest of the viewing site with the tent set up) was also
very productive--for example a pair of Wood Ducks along with many other duck
species.  Great-tailed Grackles are also in the area.

Juab County - at mile marker 18 west of Nephi a flock of Pinyon Jays were
seen.  Mountain Bluebirds were also seen on this highway.

Tooele County - Mountain Bluebirds on Utah Highway 36 and a Great Horned Owl
at Faust were seen.  The Fitzgerald Wildlife Management reservoir contained
many species of ducks.  Clover Creek Campground still has a lot of snow
without birdlife.  The reservoir on the south end of Tooele and on
Settlement Road is still ice covered and was also with birdlife.

It was a great day for birding.