Back yard specialties

Since I have had a HARRIS' SPARROW coming to my feeder for the last ten
days, I have been peering into the bushes just before dark (he comes
between 4:30 and 5:30 pm with his entourage of a couple of dozen
white-crowns and juncos). A couple of nights ago, not one bird present.
Suspecting my resident  SHARPIE to be on the prowl, I checked the tall
tree above the feeders. No sharpie, but a gray buffball with his back to
me. When he turned his head around, almost all the way around, and showed
me the cutest  face, I could ID a WESTERN SCREECH OWL.

Eric wrote about screech owls nesting in his yard and K.C. has heard them
in his neighborhood. We don't usually bird at dusk in the city, but it
might be good  to do some owling in your own back yard once in a while.

Good birding   ~   Tuula