RE: [redcliffs] St. George and Zion CBC results

Merrill invited me to join with him for the Zion's CBC and we had the
privilege of counting the Rockville and Grafton areas.  We saw a total of 46
species, including 9 species of ducks, plus Eared Grebes, and the only
Ring-billed Gull, on the Rockville Sewer Ponds.  Thanks to the Rockville
Sewer Pond employee for giving us access to what could have been an
otherwise difficult place to count.

Toward the end of the day we logged the only Peregrine Falcon, which was
"playing" with some Common Raven near the sandstone cliffs on the northern
part of Rockville.  We had a good view of him flying, soaring, chasing, and
perched on a dead tree from the home of the Mayor of Rockville, Mr. McGuire,
who was also very hospitable.  We also logged the only Verdin, which was
moving with a flock of White-crowned Sparrows.  At the fruit farm between
Rockville and Springdale, Merrill located a "different" sparrow, which he
initially thought was a Clay-colored.  However, after further consultation
it was determined to be a Chipping Sparrow (too bad).

Thanks to Merrill's good counting, we were able to see and record the
following species (in the new taxonomic order):

Mallard - 12
Northern Shoveler - 75
Green-winged Teal - 1
Ringed-necked Duck - 111
Lesser Scaup - 1
Bufflehead - 17
Common Goldeneye - 8
Common Merganser - 2
Ruddy Duck - 97
Eared Grebe - 12
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Peregrine Falcon - 1
American Coot - 43
Ring-billed Gull - 1
Red-naped Sapsucker - 3
Ladder-backed Woodpecker - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 3
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Northern Flicker - 13
Black Phoebe - 4
Say's Phoebe - 4
Steller's Jay - 1
Western Scrub Jay - 9
Pinyon Jay - 42
American Crow - 85
Common Raven - 21
Juniper Titmouse - 2
Verdin - 1
Rock Wren - 2
Bewick's Wren - 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 3
Western Bluebird - 22
Townsend's Solitaire - 1
American Robin - 17
European Starling - 43
American Pipit - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 8
Spotted Towhee - 6
Chipping Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow - 5
White-crowned Sparrow - 68
Dark-eyed Junco - 203 [of 4 different sub-species: Gray-headed (12),
Slate-colored (1), Oregon (187), Pink-sided (3)]
House Finch - 17
Lesser Goldfinch - 2
American Goldfinch - 3
House Sparrow - 33

A very satisfying day!  It was very enjoyable to bird with such an
accomplished birder as Merrill, who also has good hearing (one of my
deficiencies).  Fortunately we were able to dress warmly and didn't suffer
too much from the cold.  We started at 8:30 a.m. and ended the count and
summation at about 7 p.m.  A very long, but enjoyable day.  Unfortunately we
weren't able to add a new bird to either of our annual lists.

Thanks to the hospitality of the Zion's Forest Service officials.

Glenn