From: owner-birdnet@utahbirds.org [mailto:owner-birdnet@utahbirds.org]On
Behalf Of Utah Birds
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 7:19 AM
To: birdnet@utahbirds.org
Subject: Harris's Sparrow

Dennis Shirley has tried to send this message to the Birdnet for several
days, but it hasn't gotten through.  This is another try:

*****

On friday, the 26th, during the "Christmas Blizzard" of 2003, I found a
Harris's Sparrow, along the Spanish Fork River, west of Springville, Utah
County. It was in a mixed sparrow flock of house, song, and white-crowned
sparrows, dark-eyed junco's and spotted towhee's. The spot is a little
tricky to find, but the bird should be easy to see once you get there.

Take the main Springville I-15 exit and head west, like you are going to
Sweed's Lane or River Lane. At the "T" intersection before the River Lane
turnoff, turn left. You will be heading back to the east at this point. Take
this windy road approximately a mile or so. At the first junction where a
road goes right, turn right. You will now be heading west again. About a
quarter mile or so you will come to a bridge over the Spanish Fork
River. Just before crossing the bridge you will see a cement silage pit on
the left. This is the spot! The birds are feeding in the silage and hiding
in the thick brush between the pit and the river. Just park on the side of
the road and look from the vehicle. The birds were skitish and bailed into
the brush at the least disturbance.

The Harris's Sparrow is a striking winter plumaged adult, with a black
throat/bib, and buffy face. Hopefully it should stick around for a while.