A Merlin, Among Other Things

I say "Pshaw!" to the upcoming 12:04 a.m. winter solstice marking the shortest day of the year--today still provided enough light to scare up a few raptors in Weber County along 12th Street west of I-15 exit 347 around 4:00 p.m.  I saw a Prairie Falcon near the intersection of 12th and 5100 W., a Merlin--gray bird for a gray day--near the intersection of 12th and 7500W., many American Kestrels out to Little Mountain and one lone Rough-legged Hawk.

Other sightings included a "V" of Canada Geese, flocks of Western Meadowlarks and Horned Larks, Common Ravens, American Robins and Housefinches, and great concentrations of blackbirds.

Remember--the winter solstice also marks the point at which days start to grow longer--more hours of daylight for birding coming soon!

Kris