Please Confirm This Goose

Here's a birding challenge for you--I believe I saw a first-year Greater White-fronted Goose at Kaysville Ponds at midday today.  It would be great if another birder could visit the location to confirm or refute the sighting.  The goose was also there yesterday and conveniently, five Graylags were present today at another pond for comparison.

The goose is keeping company with many Canada Geese, Mallards, etc., in the north pond--the only pond with any appreciable open water.  It is very difficult to find amid all the Canadas.  I came across it by accident yesterday; today, I knew what I was looking for and still needed at least 20 minutes and three sweeps through all the waterfowl to find it.  Then it just floated into my binoculars with a group of Canadas less than 150 feet away.  Surprise!  I had given up seeing it again.  Your chances to pick out the goose might be better if it's standing on the ice.  Then you'll be able to see the orange legs and absence of belly.  But if it's in the water with head tucked...good luck.  I saw it both swimming and standing.

Here's why this ID is a real toughie.  I think this goose is a juvenile Greater White-fronted because neither the white front, dark belly marks, nor white tail tip are completely developed.  The beak is a washed-out pinkish-orange. The white front around the beak shows somewhat and the light color is backed up by a darker color that fades into the face.  The black belly marks are not apparent, but the bird has some faint darker mottling on the lowest area of its neck.  It also shows the white flank line between the wing and the flank.  The primaries are just a bit longer than the tip of the tail and they obscure the tip when the bird swims.  When  standing on the ice preening, it fanned its tail and I could see several of the tail feathers--not all of them--were white-tipped.  The most significant thing I noticed about this bird was the absence of the deep, heavy, low-slung white belly that Graylag Geese have.

On a behavioral note, the goose shook its head frequently as if flinging off water droplets.  It did this while in the water (although the bird never dipped its head under the surface), while preening and while simply standing.  The only time it stopped this behavoir was when its head was tucked.

I saw the five Graylag Geese both last week and today.  They keep to themselves and were at a teenie-tiny spot of open water just south of the gate between the north pond and the next one south.  The Graylags appear much heavier-bodied than the possible GW-fG in the north pond.  In fact, the single goose I described above looked quite streamlined in comparison.  The Graylags have strong orange legs and beaks, appearance of shorter wing tips folded over their tails and the heavy white bellies.  When not poking around in the water or in the grit on the bank, they simply stared ahead silently, looking...well;...stupid.

I stand ready to be corrected on the possible ID of the more cerebral-looking goose.

On another note, almost all the waterfowl occupies the shrinking north pond and everything ('cept that goose!) is easy to study.  For you fans of Hooded Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks, I saw about a dozen Hoodies and a dozen and a half Ring-necks today.  Keep an eye out for a male Belted Kingfisher that sometimes hangs out in the trees by the footbridge at the north pond.  I've seen him at that locale a couple times in the last week, too.

Carol Davis and others asked about the 'No Trespassing' signs on the property.  I believe they're intended to keep people off the unplanted areas and not the paths, but you might want to call to make sure.  Bill Fenimore kindly supplied the name and number of a contact at the USU Botanical Gardens who can field your questions:  Richard Anderson; 593-8969.

To reach Kaysville Ponds, take Exit 331 off I-15 and turn east.  In approximately 1/2 mile, turn right on Main Street and proceed south for 1/4 mile.  Then bear right on 50 West.  Drive approximately a half mile--maybe a little more--and you'll see the ponds on your right.  They're sandwiched between 50 W. and the interstate.

Let me know about that goose!

Kris